Newbier than a NEWBIE!!

ImSidekick
ImSidekick Posts: 6
edited August 2018 in MTB beginners
Evening guys,

So... After thinking long and hard over the last 6-8 months about getting myself a mountain bike I finally took the plunge and got myself one. Now when I say I am newbier than newb it is simply because I literally have not been on a bicycle since I was roughly 15/16 and now being the tender age of 30 I decided to take up a new hobby and lifestyle. My first question is a simple one really and one that may seem extremely silly but WHAT NOW? :lol::lol::lol:

Obviously I ride it, I get that but I just wondered as I am extremely new to this are there any good websites and apps that I can get so I can track what I do and where I can go?

Also, I have purchased gloves and obviously a helmet but what other things should I buys in terms of necessities?

This is something I am really excited to get started with and I am looking forward to seeing all the views and experiencing the thrills of what is to come.

Thank you in advance for all of your help and advice in the coming days, weeks and months. As I say I am a complete novice so go easy on me.

Sidekick.

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Hello and welcome to the world of mountain biking. As you've stated riding is going to be the best way forward. As you are completely new at it I would just get out and look for bridleways and get some miles under your belt. That way you will get a feel for the bike and your fitness!

You can check out "Strava" That will give you what you need in terms of tracking rides and routes. If you login on the web version you will also see some other peoples routes so you can see where the natural trails might be around you. https://www.trailforks.com/ will also give you some pointers in terms of routes to explore.

In terms of other things you need... Puncture repair kit, spare inner tubes, allen keys/multi tool. Perhaps a rucksack with a bladder in for some water.

If you post the area you are in people may be able to give you some ideas on local routes.

Good luck!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • Thank you for the response.

I am full of questions.. :lol::lol::lol:

So in terms of repair kits, what would be the best or are they mostly much of a muchness.. any particular pumps and other accessories I would need to get also? In terms of Inner tubes are there any that come recommended? Again, sorry for what may seem silly questions.. I literally have no idea what to look for.

I went out on in for an hour this morning for a little tear up and really enjoyed it but I tell you one thing... some padded shorts will be one of my first purchases... OUCH my backside.. :shock:

Oh, and I am from the Maidenhead area in Berkshire.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    The only cure for your sore backside is to ride and toughen it up. Sadly that's a painful process. Padded shorts don't really aid in that I am afraid.... once you get better on the bike you'll learn to avoid the back end smashing you in the arse all the time.

You just need to find the below which can all be bought from a LBS or somewhere like Halfords or Decathlon.

- Some puncture repair patches. I personally just go for the cheap ones and they seem fine.
    - You will need tyre levers to get the tyre off the rim.
    - Pump wise, Get something that you can carry around with you as well just in case you do need to swap the inner tube or repair a puncture.
    - Inner tubes - If you aren't doing technical riding then you should be fine with some standard inner tubes from Halfords.
    - Worth investing in some lights if you do find yourself out in the dark.
    - A multi tool for any minor maintenance.

I can't help with the trails over that way, but geographically you will have some good trails that you can ride once you feel more confident.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • blokie13
    blokie13 Posts: 93
    ImSidekick wrote:
    Thank you for the response.

So in terms of repair kits, what would be the best or are they mostly much of a muchness.. any particular pumps and other accessories I would need to get also? In terms of Inner tubes are there any that come recommended? Again, sorry for what may seem silly questions.. I literally have no idea what to look for.

I went out on in for an hour this morning for a little tear up and really enjoyed it but I tell you one thing... some padded shorts will be one of my first purchases... OUCH my backside.. :shock:

Swinley Forest is pretty close to you, and it's very highly regarded.
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • Blokie13 wrote:
    ImSidekick wrote:
    Thank you for the response.

Swinley Forest is pretty close to you, and it's very highly regarded.

Yeah that is certainly on the agenda in the coming weeks/months. Just waiting for a few bits to come in the post now and I should be good to go. It is strange because I have wanted to get a bike for so long and finally got one. Now all I want to do is go out on it.

It is a bit late now as I have purchased it but can anyone tell me if the Boardman mht 8.6 is a good/good enough bike for what I will be doing? https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/ ... -bike-blue
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    slc123 wrote:
    The only cure for your sore backside is to ride and toughen it up. Sadly that's a painful process. Padded shorts don't really aid in that I am afraid....

Actually fitting the saddle will help for starters :)

Joking aside, padded shorts are required. Also check saddle is fitted so the front is slightly downwards, there is no fixed rule as it is personal choice.. Ensure bike is correct size and saddle height and position is correct for you.
    .if the pita continues, try a different saddle, backsides differ in shape and size so there is no saddle that fits all.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Boardman MHT range is new so there are very few reviews yet. However, on paper it looks like a very decent spec - air forks, Deore transmission, 1x10, etc. I would say the limiting factor is the tyres, but ride the bike and see how they perform.

Ask someone knowledgable to help you set up the bike - saddle height, fore/aft position, saddle angle, handlebar angle, etc. There are also plenty of video tutorials on line you can watch to get guidance and tips.

I would recommend a decent pair of padded shorts as they make rides more comfortable. Endura Hummvee shorts are good and can often be bought for a good price in sales. Even when wearing padded shorts you will initially get a sore derrière but you'll soon toughen up and get used to it. (In case you weren't aware you do not wear pants under padded shorts.)
    Although not essential, a decent pair of stiff soled cycling shoes also make it easier to ride and grip the pedals better. Having said that, what pedals have you got on the bike? You want a set with good pins that provide grip and won't get slippery when wet.

As for spares and tools I always carry the following in my back pack:

Multitool (Crank Bothers M19)
    Small High volume pump
    Spare inner tube (I run my bikes tubeless but carry one in case of a puncture that doesn't seal)
    Self-adhesive puncture repair patches
    Tyre levers (3 off)
    A few zip ties
    A couple of split links
    Small first aid kit
    Space blanket

You should also invest in a shock pump to set/adjust the air pressure in your forks.

If you are only doing short rides a water bottle is sufficient but for longer rides where you may not pass a tap a pack pack with a reservoir (e.g. CamelBak or Osprey) will let you carry more water.

Check out youtube and the Park Tools website for video guides/tutorials on bike maintenance. Learning to maintain your bike yourself will save you money and is very satisfying.

Now get out there and enjoy riding your new bike. :)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • So would you say the Boardman MHT 8.6 would be good enough to hit some trails with?
    Nothing too hairy.

Been out on it a a few times now and really enjoying it. Can't wait to go to Swinley and hit a few trails and learn to ride them. Just don't want to turn up and have people thinking why is he riding that on a trail.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Plenty good enough.

Why worry about what people think?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Plenty good enough.

Why worry about what people think?

You are right, I shouldn't worry. I suppose I was more worried that the bike wouldn't be good enough to hit some trails with.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ImSidekick wrote:
    I was more worried that the bike wouldn't be good enough to hit some trails with.

Throw that thought out of your head.

More often than not, it is the rider not the bike that is the limiting factor.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Use this to help set up your bike, its good and has stood the test of time.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/ ... fit-29498/
  • Uber_Pod
    Uber_Pod Posts: 110
    Watch this and you'll realise it's not the bike but what you do with it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2_nDekAyZY
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Lots of good advice on here so I won’t add much. But regarding the saddle, just make sure the bike is set up right for you. In theory, if you’re sitting on your sit bones, which you should be, there shouldn’t be any pain. Now, that’s an ideal world I know, and even I with padded shorts and a full suss can feel it sometimes, but it really shouldn’t be that painful.

And the bike is perfect for a start and will happily go round Swinley. :)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two