Converting a 10 speed to an 11 speed.

Mountain Pass
Mountain Pass Posts: 8
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi, I currently have a 2011 Trek Madone 6 series Dura Ace that is in great shape. I want to convert it from a 10 speed to an 11 speed. I have a 50/34 12-28 but want to go to a 11-32 or 11-34 due to climbing events I have coming up. Is this doable and what does it entail. Thanks Rob

Comments

• If everything's working well and you're just after lower gears then you may be able to do it by buying an 11-32/34 10 speed cassette, a derailleur extender and new chain.

That's what I did when I wanted low gears for climbing on a 10 speed set up although I also converted the rear derailleur from an SS to a GS.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    you won't notice any difference between 10 & 11 speed but if you insist...

11 speed shifter/s
    11 speed derailleur
    11 speed chain
    11 speed cassette

MF would just get a longer 10 speed mech chain and cassette. you'll be able to put a 30 on there as is.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd stay 10 speed unless your drivetrain is shot.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    The only difference between a 10 speed 11/32 cassette and an 11 speed 11/32 cassette is that you have a 13
    tooth sprocket on the latter. All the other sprockets are the same. Do you really need a 13 tooth sprocket that much?

I would go for a new 10 speed rear mech and cassette.
  • Thanks for all the feedback...i was leaning that way..hope to get a new bike in a year or 2. Would the shimano ultegra mid cage derailleur accommadate an 10 speed 11-34? I'm doing the Race to the Sun Haleakala climb next year along with some climbs in Calif and Colorado also. Thanks
  • You would need an Ultegra 6700 GS rear derailleur as that was the last 10 speed Ultegra derailleur. Hard to find new now, and expensive if you do, but you could get one second hand. You would have to reverse the b screw and it should be able to cope with a 32 or 34 tooth sprocket.

Another approach would be to stick with your rear derailleur and use a derailleur extender like the Wolftooth Roadlink - others might be able to suggest alternative products. The derailleur would definitely be able to cope with bigger sprockets but if it's a short cage then there'll be greater extension forward of the cage. As you'd need a new chain anyway then you could play with chain length so it should work without over-extending the cage.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You might find it easier to get hold of a 10 speed 105 medium cage rear mech, ie a 5700.
  • Hi OP, Haleakela is an incredibly steady 5-6% with no super steep bits (and only 400m of flat) so you may be absolutely fine on your current set up. You might be too spinny on a 34/34 or 34/32 combo. Can you find a local 5% hill to try out your current gearing?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    keef66 wrote:
    You might find it easier to get hold of a 10 speed 105 medium cage rear mech, ie a 5700.

You need a 5701 GS to use a 32t sprocket. A 5700GS will only go to 30t. That is according to Shimano and me. I have been there.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Your existing rear mech will accomodate an 11-30. Unless you are doing sustained climbing at 12% or more this should be adequate with a 50-34 chainset.

Another option would be a 9 speed MTB rear mech which would accommodate a 34t or 36t sprocket and would work with your existing 10sp road shifter.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D