Side to side play in front wheel

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Afternoon all,

I have noticed an issue arising with the front wheel of my bike. The wheel is a Vision Metron 40 carbon clincher. Basically the wheel tilts from side to side by a couple of mm. It's not out of true as it runs perfectly true. Also when I lift and drop the front of the bike from a few centimetres it doesn't half make a nasty rattling noise. I've checked the obvious with the rattle such as the valve screw being tight and the quick release which seem fine. Also checked all spokes and none are loose. I'm assuming there's an issue with hub but any ideas?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Either the cones are loose or there is play in the bearings - depends on what type of hub/bearing type it is.
  • dstev55
    It does have an adjustable collar for the bearing preload if this clarifies what type they are?

Could it be as simple as it needs tightening up?

I can take it to a bike shop if needs be but would actually like to learn about these things myself plus it's a faf getting to the bike shop plus costs.
  • dstev55
    Cracked it. Firstly just tightened the collar screw up which did nothing (in fact made it worse). Then realised the play was coming from where the collars weren't screwed in enough. So backed the tensioning screws right off and then wound the collars right in. I then tightened the tensioning screws right up to realise this causes far too much friction and would mean the wheel wouldn't spin freely at all. So I tightened each side up evenly and bobs your uncle! Zero play, zero rattling and the wheel spins as freely as you'd ever like.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    dstev55 wrote:
    Cracked it. Firstly just tightened the collar screw up which did nothing (in fact made it worse). Then realised the play was coming from where the collars weren't screwed in enough. So backed the tensioning screws right off and then wound the collars right in. I then tightened the tensioning screws right up to realise this causes far too much friction and would mean the wheel wouldn't spin freely at all. So I tightened each side up evenly and bobs your uncle! Zero play, zero rattling and the wheel spins as freely as you'd ever like.
    Nice one :)