Rear Fulcrum wheel has play when locked on the frame

dddcharlie
dddcharlie Posts: 8
edited August 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I have a Fulcrum Red Power HP 27.5 rear wheel that has 9mm ta to qr conversion adaptors. This wheel has some play (can
be seen and felt) even when it is locked on very tightly by the qr skewer. There is no hub play or freewheel play that can be observed; the whole hub feels all sturdy. One thing that was noticed was that the wheel is quite loose (eg. shifting all around the dropouts when there is no qr skewer in place) and a small 1mm to 2mm gap could be observed between the adaptor and the dropouts on the drive side. Could the wheel's lack of fitness in my frame be the culprit for the play in the wheels? This is the only thing that I could think of that may cause this play.

It would be great if anyone could give me any pointers, opinions, or any other point out any other possible culprits which may cause this!

Thank you

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Are they Fulcrum adaptors or generic aftermarket?

Some of the plug in each end type generic adaptors don't reach the bearings just into the original end caps making them useless, and yes lots of play and trashed OE adaptors in short order.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It should be a original fulcrum adaptor as it came with the wheel itself. What do you mean by reach into the bearings?
    Thanks for the reply!
  • The Rookie
    The bearings are not right at the outer edge of the hub, with a through axle the bearings sit on that, if the adaptors don't reach in far enough the bearing inner race isn't sitting on it and that's never going to work right. Why not just use a 9mm T/A?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I'm still not sure I understand what you mean. The adaptor I have is merely fitted on to the 2 ends of the hub axle 292992_2695945.jpg
    It is not the whole hub axle which is touching the bearings inside the hub body that has been changed to become a 9mm qr axle.

I hope this makes sense, I am not very experienced with all these bike parts :D
  • The Rookie
    I understood that, with a through axle the bearing inner race sit on the axle, if those don't go in far enough for the bearings to sit on, they will not work.

I had the exact same issue with a 15mm front hub with similar adapators, they only sat in the normal hub end caps and didn't reach the bearing and were unusable. I have to buy a 15mm OD axle with a QR inside and end form to work.
  • Ah ok, gotcha, thank you for the explanation!