New bike - SL6 Tarmac Comp Disc???

Harrismark
Harrismark Posts: 6
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have receievd my insuarnce payout for my written off 2015 Tarmac Comp. The replacement I have in mind is the new SL6 Tarmac Comp Disc.

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV337940

This retails at £2,750 - at this price point does anyone have any recommendations? I have looked at the Trek Emonda SL6 Pro https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-emonda ... e-EV311903 which has carbon wheels but not sure about the brakes.

Thoughts??

Comments

• To make it more complicated i've just seen this

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/speciali ... olour=3639

The Tarmac Expert which has better wheels but caliper brakes for £2500 and I love the pink.

Is it worth £250 to get the disc brakes and have slightly worse wheels?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Imo, no. Not worth the extra for discs unless you live somewhere hilly and/or ride in the wet/winter a lot. I can see the point for a commuter but not really for a road bike. I like the pink too. Better wheels a better option than discs Imo.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    It's the new Ultegra direct mount brakes which are as good as disc brakes in the dry and still pretty decent in the wet.
    I'd go for the rim brake bike unless you're using the bike as a winter warrior in which case I wouldn't get a Tarmac.
  • Camcycle1974
    Get it while they still have your size (if that's 56cm?) the pro is the best looking bike released this year but wildly expensive. The SL6 is the best revision of a model by any major manufacturer this year in my opinion. Do like a Tarmac but the prices are out of my range. With £1000 off though it looks more of a bargain.
  • Thanks guys - that is what I am thinking. I have a cross bike with discs if I want to go wet and wild!

However - means I won't be able to buy from my LBS which means they will be less inclined to set it up for me as per my bike fit and also won't get 10% off stuff going forwards.

The pink though!! 8)
  • Camcycle1974
    Harrismark wrote:
    Thanks guys - that is what I am thinking. I have a cross bike with discs if I want to go wet and wild!

However - means I won't be able to buy from my LBS which means they will be less inclined to set it up for me as per my bike fit and also won't get 10% off stuff going forwards.

The pink though!! 8)

It's a grand off retail price, what more do you want! My LBS does a discount regardless as I am a member of a cycling club. I hadn't bought a bike from them until recently but I did buy my wife's and daughter's from them plus a lot of other stuff. If they want your business going forward they will offer you 10%, if not, find another shop. Also, most bike shops don't offer a great fitting service unless it's Sigma Sports or someone similar. It will likely be the guy in the shop who went on a fitting course for a couple of days doing it which you could do just as good a job as yourself. Seriously, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
  • Harrismark wrote:
    Thanks guys - that is what I am thinking. I have a cross bike with discs if I want to go wet and wild!

The pink though!! 8)

It's a grand off retail price, what more do you want! My LBS does a discount regardless as I am a member of a cycling club. I hadn't bought a bike from them until recently but I did buy my wife's and daughter's from them plus a lot of other stuff. If they want your business going forward they will offer you 10%, if not, find another shop. Also, most bike shops don't offer a great fitting service unless it's Sigma Sports or someone similar. It will likely be the guy in the shop who went on a fitting course for a couple of days doing it which you could do just as good a job as yourself. Seriously, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

So - I just went to my LBS who said the Expert at £2500 is a bonkers price and could only make it down to £2800. However, they have reduced the Comp disc to £2475 so I get basically the same bike (save for a more aero seat post and negligibly better wheels) but with discs. Plus I retain their service and 10% off and they will set it up in accordance with my bike fit (done there) and I can pick it up tomorrow!

:D
  • Camcycle1974
    All's well that ends well I suppose. Still don't see why you would buy a lower spec bike for more money just to retain the 10% discount from your lbs. Comp surely has lower end groupset than the expert too?
  • All's well that ends well I suppose. Still don't see why you would buy a lower spec bike for more money just to retain the 10% discount from your lbs. Comp surely has lower end groupset than the expert too?

The comp has an identical groupset - full ultegra.

I've just realised that the Comp and Expert have Fact9 and Fact10 carbon frames respectively. Not sure how much difference this will make? A couple hunded grams I guess?

That really is the only difference but then I get the Ultegra discs on the Comp which goes in it's favour.

hmm
  • Camcycle1974
    Harrismark wrote:
    All's well that ends well I suppose. Still don't see why you would buy a lower spec bike for more money just to retain the 10% discount from your lbs. Comp surely has lower end groupset than the expert too?

The comp has an identical groupset - full ultegra.

I've just realised that the Comp and Expert have Fact9 and Fact10 carbon frames respectively. Not sure how much difference this will make? A couple hunded grams I guess?

That really is the only difference but then I get the Ultegra discs on the Comp which goes in it's favour.

hmm

I doubt you'd notice the difference between the different carbons. It seems you really want the discs so no choice to be made really.