Best MTB hardtale for beginners?

Andykitch
Andykitch Posts: 5
edited August 2018 in MTB beginners
Hi all
I've wanted to get into the MTB scene again, I haven't bought a bike in about 8 years and it's all changed since I last checked! There's that much on offer and that much difference between everything how are you supposed to know what's right without taking a thousand test rides???
I basically want to be able to ride from home to the woods and go on trails and eventually make my own trail, attempt a couple of jumps but he able to ride home again! Any suggestions on bikes? Preferably under £1000 any help is appreciated!

Also.. when buying a new bike what else is recommended to buy? E.g. helmet, lights etc etc??

Thanks!
Andy

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what your local trails are.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Depends what your local trails are.
    Mostly just walk ways I suppose! The idea is to go up to the lake District and find good ones! I live in Yorkshire so there's loads to try out!
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    VooDoo Bizango 29er then
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Welcome to the forum.

You can get some really good HT's for under £1000. The sort of terrain that you mention can be done on a £500 to £750 bike. Don't get seduced by the need to get anything posher. If you last bought a bike about 8 years ago, it may have been 26" wheels (nothing wrong with that BTW) and the geometry might be a bit `slacker` (longer wheelbase and a bit more stretched out to deal with more DH type terrain). Other than that, they all have wheels and will put a smile on your face.

Have a look at this buying guide:

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/ ... view-video

If that budget also includes buying some biking `kit`, then you'd be looking at:

Helmet - look at `trail` helmets as these offer more protection to the back of the head - pretty standard nowadays.
    Gloves - long fingers work well and offer more protection.
    Backpack/Water bladder - always good to have something to carry your gear in - Camelbak and Osprey are quite good and you get the drinks bladder.
    Basic tools - best thing is to get a little multitool + tyre levers
    Spare tube - would expect you not to be tubelss, but even if you were, a spare tube is essential
    Pump - some sort of decent minipump (you can get o2 inflators as well)
    Spare top - some sort of lightweight shower/rain top (depends on time of year)

We all have our own preferences - I also have a small first aid kit, snacks, spare chain links+quick links, brake pads and other stuff I probably don't need.

Ref the bike - you do need to get on a few and try them out.

You might find that if you enjoy it and get out a lot more, you'll want to get a nicer bike or a FS.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    JGTR wrote:
    VooDoo Bizango 29er then

This ^

Although many sites like CRC, Cycle Surgery, Evans and Tredz etc have their summer sales on at the moment, so a good chance to pick up a higher spec bike for lesser monies. Will still be hard to beat the VooDoo spec for £650 though.

Oh, and welcome back to biking :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • BillyCool wrote:
    Welcome to the forum.

that's really helpful thankyou!! Trying to get back in to it properly so I'm trying not to skimp the pennies! The 500-750 is probably just for the bike it's self then all the accessories!
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    VooDoo Bizango 29er then

This ^

Will still be hard to beat the VooDoo spec for £650 though.

Would the pinnacle kapur 3 be of the same spec? I spoke to someone at Evans and they said they can use more expensive components for pinnacle bikes, are they a good brand to look for?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You can just get on and ride the bizango it is a very well designed and spec’ed bike for the money. Have a look at on line reviews.
  • Is the Bizango any good for XC racing?

Basically I entered a few XC races earlier in the year using my Cyclocross bike. I did feel like the bike was holding me back a fair bit, watching other racers just roll over roots and jumps that were a bit more of a challenge on my CX bike. So just looking for a cheap Hardtail that I could use for racing a few times a year.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Bizango is more trail geometry than XC race bike, be better than a CX bike though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks, geometry was not something that I had considered, guess I need to do a bit more research.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Now its obvious your just posting brain farts.

'this bike is latest'? seriously?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.