Stock Disc wheel upgrade

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
My cube came with Fulcrum 77 DB weigh about 1800 and was looking to upgrade.

It’s a winter bike and I was looking at Hunt 4 season £319 weigh in just below 1600.

Wondering if it would be a worthy upgrade and possibly what else to consider, don’t want anything more then 35 high.

Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depends how desperate you are to save 200g...on a winter bike...
  • jpower
    Imposter wrote:
    Depends how desperate you are to save 200g...on a winter bike...
    So this be the problems, almost doesn’t seem worthwhile.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If your looking at weight then your looking at the wrong reason for a change. There are many think fulcrum could do better in that wheelset reducing weight is not one of them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jpower
    I’ve always read that stock wheels on bikes are usually not spec'ed very well, so other then saving some weight I was hoping there would be other benefits
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    What benefit are you looking for? Or do you just want to spend some money and are hoping we will enable you?
  • jpower
    Current wheel feels sluggish when climbing, I know I have a large part to play in that too, guess I was hoping for something that helps hold speed and feels a bit better on climbs
  • jpower
    Oh and can cope with British winter, which to be fair to the 77 does seem to do.
  • I found those Fulcrum wheels to be ~2000g, I replaced them with Hunt Aero Light Discs recently, very happy so far. Experience also also affected my using my first set of 700x28 GP4000 S2s and Vittoria latex tubes.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    No idea on weight, but I upgraded my Mavic Aksium Discs to Borg 28s from Malcolm at CycleClinic. They're tubeless and I have to say I love them. They feel great when riding and frankly the biggest thing has been lack of flats. Came into their own recently on PRL100 when everyone seemed to be having multiple flats. It was the one problem I didn't have.
  • imposter2.0
    jpower wrote:
    Current wheel feels sluggish when climbing, I know I have a large part to play in that too, guess I was hoping for something that helps hold speed and feels a bit better on climbs

As you imply, the 'sluggish' part is down to you (or maybe your tyres/tyre pressure), unfortunately. Lighter wheels will not 'hold speed' on a climb any better than heavy ones. And wheels that 'feel a bit better' are going to be difficult to define in any meaningful sense. Not trying to be difficult, just saying that your criteria does not seem to be valid..
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Given we're talking about a winter bike I'd be inclined to agree with Imposter and keep the Fulcrums, Fulcrum Racing 77's aren't that bad and the kind of wheels you're looking at wouldn't be that much better.

According to Merlin Cycles they weigh 1,740 grams:

https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-ra ... 08794.html

Malcolm is also right, for a winter/cyclocross wheel it's strange that they aren't tubeless compatible.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    the Mavic Askium Allroad disk wheelset that came with my Cervelo C3 come in at almost 2200g (F - 960g, R - 1140g) so I am possibly / probably be looking for a new set of lighter wheels as I can save maybe 600g by a change in wheelset, which is not insubstantial.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I have Mavic Aksium disc that came with my Synapse. Also looking to upgrade, main reason is vanity. Looking for something that looks cool.

Hunts look nice, but there are some threads on here, saying they are overpriced. Where else should I be looking?
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • moonshine
    The issue would appear to be light, cheap wheels (carbon or otherwise) don't appear to be readily available with disk only, thru axle hubs.

The farsports etc are all Rim brake / QR format as far as I can see.
    Hunt and Wheelsmith seem to offer the best options on rims and hubs
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    moonshine wrote:
    The issue would appear to be light, cheap wheels (carbon or otherwise) don't appear to be readily available with disk only, thru axle hubs.

and hunts are well overpriced.

why not get a suitable hub, spokes and rim and get it made?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    moonshine wrote:

Farsports are available for disc brakes and all of the common axle standards. You just need to find the correct section of the website.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have been using the Hunt 4 Season Disc wheels for a while now. They're a decent set of wheels, I've had no issue with them on my 'winter' (ie rainy, so autumn, spring and usually much of summer) bike. They're not exactly flyweight, but they're not supposed to be. The one good thing about them, as opposed to my original wheels, are the brass nipples, which are far more robust than alu. I made the switch after the second nipple on the rear wheel corroded a twanged off mid-ride.

Of course a set of handbuilts can be specced with brass nips.
  • moonshine
    MrB123 wrote:
    moonshine wrote:

Farsports are available for disc brakes and all of the common axle standards. You just need to find the correct section of the website.
    I'll have a better look then! ;)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    https://www.wheelsfar.com/road-disc.html

The different axle options are given in the drop down menu for the hubs for the individual wheelsets.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/product-page/race-30

I run these on my winter bike, very pleased with them
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I changed the Aksium allroad for the hunt aero light disks, running one pro ,s 700x28 and noticed a difference straight away
  • imposter2.0
    I changed the Aksium allroad for the hunt aero light disks, running one pro ,s 700x28 and noticed a difference straight away

Can you describe the difference?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Imposter wrote:

Can you describe the difference?

A move to tubeless 28mm Pro Ones from stock tyres would probably provide more "difference" than the change in the wheelset.
  • jpower
    I stumbled across a set of very nicely priced used Roval slx 24 's think that will meet my criteria perfectly.
  • If you looking for disc brake wheelsets, best value for money, then you could try this app database https://goo.gl/DVo99V. Sadly it doesnt have direct links to purchase but it does list all the prices and weights.