Cannondale Synapse VS Orbea Avant

jonboyuk
jonboyuk Posts: 40
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Just looking for a little advice here, I'm having trouble deciding between these 2 endurance road bikes.

Actually, one I've already got the Cannondale on order, but then as I have to wait 2 weeks I can't help but browse :lol:

So the Cannondale in question is a Synapse Carbon 105 Disc 2018.

The other contender is the Orbea Avant M20 Team-D 2018.

There is a £300 price difference, but the M20 is an upgrade from 105->Ultegra. Is it worth the jump up?

Comments

• jonboyuk
    Sorry guys - just a small bump :/
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I can only vouch for the Cannondale. I have di2 Synapse and love it. It has also won plenty of bike awards.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Vote for the Avant here. Orbea make good bikes and are not as common as the main brands. For £300 I'd take the upgrade given that it's £700 off full retail. I'd have an Orca personally as I don't buy into the whole endurance thing. The Defy I once had was also the most uncomfortable bike I have had. There's an Orbea dealer near me so I have had a sneeky look now and again.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Vote for the Avant here. I'd have an Orca personally as I don't buy into the whole endurance thing. The Defy I once had was also the most uncomfortable bike I have had. There's an Orbea dealer near me so I have had a sneeky look now and again.

But wasn't that because you were sold the wrong size, too big, a bike? How are you getting on with the TCR?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    DJ58 wrote:
    Vote for the Avant here. I'd have an Orca personally as I don't buy into the whole endurance thing. The Defy I once had was also the most uncomfortable bike I have had. There's an Orbea dealer near me so I have had a sneeky look now and again.

But wasn't that because you were sold the wrong size, too big, a bike? How are you getting on with the TCR?

Yes, that was part of the problem but it was also bone shakingly stiff as it was one of the old Aluxx frames. No matter what position I tried I couldn't get comfortable on it. The TCR is a different beast altogether. I got the right size which helps but there's more to it than that. I also have a Ti bike and the TCR is just as comfy, having ridden the bike with the same set of wheels. More to the point, its fast! Just got to get some 50mm carbon wheels for it and then I'm done. I got the Advanced model and it comes with alu rims which are OK but nothing special. Winter training wheels at best.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I used to drive for around 12000km orbea Avant H30 (alu 105), and it was really good bike, but nothing to be excited with it. I appreciated it but i didnt love it. Thats my take on the Orbea. If there is no feelings involved then thats my suggestion.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I’ve got the 2017 Synapse Carbon 105, can’t speak highly enough of it. I changed the tyres for some Pirelli P Zero and that made a huge difference.
  • jonboyuk
    ChippyK wrote:
    I’ve got the 2017 Synapse Carbon 105, can’t speak highly enough of it. I changed the tyres for some Pirelli P Zero and that made a huge difference.

Sold! I guess with the £300 I'm saving I could put that to one side towards an upgrade to Ultegra if I ever need to...
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    jonboyuk wrote:
    ChippyK wrote:

Sold! I guess with the £300 I'm saving I could put that to one side towards an upgrade to Ultegra if I ever need to...

I've had Vittoria Graphenes on my Synapse since Red Bull event last year (Oct?) Still going strong. I also like Conti $ seasons.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • jonboyuk
    I managed to get another £100 off the Synapse so I can upgrade later with all the money I saved :) Win. Thanks for the tyre recommendations btw!