Cons of taking my Merida bike to USA

Lcycler4
Lcycler4 Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
I stayed in Korea for some time and bought a Merida Scultura road bicycle. I like it a lot and want to bring it on my way back to USA. I researched and Merida doesn’t sell in USA. Has anyone brought this brand back to USA? Have you experienced issues with spare parts? Any advice from your end on this will be helpful.

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    You shouldn't have any issues with the components, as they will all be off the shelf parts you can buy in any decent bike shop.

The only issues I see would be if you have to make a warranty claim on the frame or forks. It might be quite expensive to ship them back to the nearest distributor.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Thanks CitizenLee, very helpful!
    Luis
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    absoloutely no cons at all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,118
    i notice there was a safety recall on some models (fork has to be replaced), check if yours is affected

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Merid ... ura+recall
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194
    Rats. Had missed that recall. Mrs O has one of the models under recall. Phone call time.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The only reason Merida aren't sold in the USA is because they are the major share holder of Specialized and make their frames. The agreement is that Merida won't compete for the market share in the USA. My Merida Reacto is only Merida by the frame and forks. Everything else that was stamped or branded Merida has been removed and replaced with off the shelf components.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.