SRAM Red 22: is it SRAM chain specific?

ajmitchell
ajmitchell Posts: 203
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi all I have a 2017/8 bike with SRAM 22 groupset. I tried to replace the chain today with a good quality 11 sp alternative (PYB). I cannot see any difference between this chain the the old SRAM Red chain (of course there may be small differences not easily visible). The new chain is fine in all gears except in the 12T cassette where it jumps and sticks.....it looks to be like the cassette (SRAM 1190) doesn't release the chain smoothly?)....and to repeat its fine in all other gears 11 to 25 (except 12). I wondered about a worn cassette....but I replaced it to find out, and exactly the same symptoms. Anyone shed any light on this from direct experience? I am unsure whether I have a fault or SRAM is entirely SRAM chain specific? thanks

Comments

• ajmitchell
    ajmitchell Posts: 203
    proving tricky to find an answer, might have to try several more chains.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,140
    does it stick going 12-11 or 12-13 ?

the former may indicate a sticky rd, cable drag due to wear/contamination can also cause problems as bigger->smaller cog shifting is dependent on spring force, adjusting indexing to compensate will throw things out elsewhere

other things to check: rd setup (don't forget b screw setting), mech hanger alignment

don't recall seeing any reports of chain incompatibility
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny