Hot Weather Protocol

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,589
edited August 2018 in Pro race
Seeing the weather at present Spain and Portugal with shade temperatures forecast in the high 40s, what would be the likely impact if those sorts of temperatures are still around when the Vuelta starts? I know it’s still a few weeks off so these extremes are likely to have gone but could we see cancellations, stages being shortened and / or stage start times changed?

I seem to recall something coming in after that really hot Tour of California and that there are cold weather protocols. Luckily San Sebastián is ‘only’ forecast for 29 degrees so pretty normal summer racing conditions.

Comments

• The Volta is currently on in Portugal. 2.1 races aren't covered by the protocol.
    Other than having the fire brigade strategically placed along the route, to spray down the riders, the organisers have done little and not altered the course at all. As a result, the stages are being raced very, very slowly.
    After the last two days, when the thermometer has hit over 43C, today the race is expected to have to deal with 47C.

If seeing is believing, it will be live on here around 4pm. So, just about from when San Seb ends.
    Amazing scenes yesterday of the riders under the fire dept showers...

https://www.rtp.pt/play/direto/rtpinternacional
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    It’s expected to be the hottest day on record in Portugal today and realistically they’ll be out of the shade most of the time so it’s likely temperatures on the road will be over 50 degrees. Surely they have to adapt the race in some way if it’s carrying on? There must be a serious danger to health even if they are just going slowly.
  • I spoke to soon or else they saw my post.

This,

portugal4-768x296.png

has been replaced by this for tomorrow.

DjwyOz3XsAAlTaj.jpg

So, the race loses it's biggest climb. I find it a bit odd, given that if anywhere is cooler, it'll be found at 2000 metres.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    I spoke to soon or else they saw my post.

This,

portugal4-768x296.png

has been replaced by this for tomorrow.

DjwyOz3XsAAlTaj.jpg

So, the race loses it's biggest climb. I find it a bit odd, given that if anywhere is cooler, it'll be found at 2000 metres.
    We periodically have temperatures in excess of 40 degrees here. We also have mountains at 2,000 plus metres. Trust me, you really don't want to be riding, let alone racing, uphill in those temperatures. And then, if it is significantly cooler near the summit, with the amount of sweat you have produced and the energy expended, it can seem like you are in the Arctic as you crest the top and begin to descend.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    DeadCalm wrote:
    if it is significantly cooler near the summit, with the amount of sweat you have produced and the energy expended, it can seem like you are in the Arctic as you crest the top and begin to descend.
    I wonder if this is the main reason for the Volta change – on the one hand the ascent (whether to the original highest point or the revised lower one) is from the north, and it does make a big difference whether the sun is on one's back or not, while on the other hand, I know from my own experience that one can be at Guarda (stage start) in wonderful daytime weather but high up on the Serra da Estrela (highest point on stage) there can be bitter cold weather.

(The other place I've found this extreme contrast in temperatures during summer, without storms being involved, was Gran Sasso in Italy – coincidentally stage 9 of the Giro this year).

Which makes me puzzle, why don't you often see riders 'install' an extra layer on GT descents nowadays?
  • One of the main GC contenders, Joni Brandão, has expressed extreme displeasure at the removal of the big climb.
    "This is something I don't understand. Maybe tomorrow I will not be at the start, too. We were obliged for three days to withstand the heat, then, the queen stage arrives and Torre is cut."
  • https://twitter.com/louisbendixen/statu ... 83879?s=21

“Sad to leave Portugal. Dehydrated I was stuck at the Antidoping control for 3hours with no food but water. After just being able to hand in my pee sample, my body completely shut down and collapsed. Spent the night in the hospital suffering from a heat stroke and kidney failure“
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

“Sad to leave Portugal. Dehydrated I was stuck at the Antidoping control for 3hours with no food but water. After just being able to hand in my pee sample, my body completely shut down and collapsed. Spent the night in the hospital suffering from a heat stroke and kidney failure“
    Yikes.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    stuck at the Antidoping control for 3hours with no food but water.
    Is a 3 hour wait normal?
    Do they have to hang around until the test is done in case they need to give another sample?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    stuck at the Antidoping control for 3hours with no food but water.
    Is a 3 hour wait normal?
    Do they have to hang around until the test is done in case they need to give another sample?

They have to stay there until they pee. If you've sweated so much out you're practically a raisin that can take a while.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • stuck at the Antidoping control for 3hours with no food but water.
    Is a 3 hour wait normal?

They have to stay there until they pee. If you've sweated so much out you're practically a raisin that can take a while.

No food available for all that time must have been part of the problem. I would guess this is up to the teams to sort and I imagine below the top level this may not be covered well. You would think that someone would be looking after rider welfare though- WADA/organiser/Race Doctor.