BB7 disc brakes replacement

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
So a couple of winters' worth of commuting on the crosser (PX XLS) along wet, salty Scottish roads, have reduced the brakes to an ugly corroded mess.

The BB7 brakes are still available, but is there anything better (or alternatively cheaper) I should look at?

And before anyone says it - no, I'm not upgrading the whole works to hydraulic, I have been entirely happy with their performance - that is until they started seizing up, and I couldn't either turn the adjusters or get the pads out.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Buy a giant conduct hydraulic conversion kit.

£120 plus about £15 for a stem to make it look neat.

What sti levers are you using?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Or find some spyres, despite extended periods of neglect I've always been able to bring mine back from the dead with a strip and regrease of the bearings.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    I’ve heard good things about the Spyres, or HyRd come to that. I replaced my BB7s with a Parabox hydraulic converter, unfortunately no longer made but the Giant thing mentioned above is similar. I’ve had no problems since fitting and the braking is better and the feel is improved. Better than HyRd type semi hydraulic as the cable run is very short so cable issues become virtually nonexistent. Nearest thing to full hydraulic.