Replacement brake pads

chrisrct
chrisrct Posts: 22
edited August 2018 in MTB general
Hi good people, I have just purchased replacement pads and springs from uberbike, the pads don’t fit snuggly between the springs,there’s is a couple of mm gap,the springs are the same size as the ones I replaced, but the pads are smaller, is it still ok to fit,not come across this before,thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I which dimension.

Length, thickness?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chrisrct
    Length ways,you can move the pad sideways in spring
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A couple of mm is quite a lot for something so small. Sure you bought the right ones?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Both new parts so shouldn't make an odds!

The pad backplate stops the pad moving in the calliper, I think you're saying the friction part of the pad is smaller allowing some clearance? If so not an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chrisrct
    Yes both new parts, and clearance is with the friction material, I just thought the spring was supposed to snug right up to the material.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Probably should but makes no odds if it doesn’t, the spring is just there to push the pads onto the pistons and stop them rattling.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chrisrct
    Thanks for replies, puts my mind at rest , I have fitted them and seem to be working ok.