Is buying a new road bike worth it for me?

Jack Man
Jack Man Posts: 2
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
To start out with I have been road for 2 years and frequently go on long rides And during that time I have ridden a 31 pound Giant Cypress DX, and even with its limitations I have been able to push out 140 mile bike rides at a 13 mph pace. However I am now considering buying a new bike for two reason. 1.Being that I want the supposed extra performance. 2. That I want to enter a race before season's end, and I obviously can't do that with me current bike, unless I want to look like a fool. My question is should I buy a bike like the Trek Emonda ALR/SL at a hefty discount from a friend who works at a bike store for around $400-$500. Or should I buy a used bike from the late 80's like a Panasonic or Peugeot in good condition for $150-$200 on craigslist. And mainly if these bikes are really worth purchasing. Will I notice a lot of a difference for just 10 pounds lighter? Because the research that I did on the internet said the weight isn't that big of a factor except for hills (not a lot of those in my area). And for just 2 minutes faster for $150-$500 dollars doesn't seem to worth it for me. Am I right or wrong, and if wrong what bike should I get?

P.S. As a side question is there a difference between bike weight and the weight of myself on a bike in terms of performance?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Buy the trek. Gears and Brakes will be much better than something from the 80s.

You will notice a big difference over a 30lb bike. Normally I'd say weight isn't that important but this is a huge chunk of weight.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,966
    You want to enter a race and think 2 minutes inconsequential?
    In summary, get the Trek.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jack Man wrote:
    And for just 2 minutes faster for $150-$500 dollars doesn't seem to worth it for me.

If I could spend that and cut 2 minutes of my 25 mile TT time I'd be pretty stoked!

But back on topic ... But the damn bike! :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    if it makes you smile and you have fun then its worth it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Erasmus
    Erasmus Posts: 48
    Some people are willing to spend hundreds, if not thousands of pounds, to save a tiny bit of weight off a bike that's reasonably light and stiff in the first place. That's probably a waste most of the time, as the thing holding them back will be themselves.

For you though, 140 miles is a cracking distance. If you can do it at 13mph on a Giant Cypress DX, then I really suspect that on a proper race bike, stiff, 10lbs lighter, you'll be surprised at how much faster you go, and enjoy pushing at speed. As others have said, go for something like the Trek. Good luck mate, and post back if you do and let us know how big your grin is!