Vector 2 pedals n' pods or 4iiiiiiii crank Ultegra PM -

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all,

I bagged a set of Vector 2's from CRC fairly recently, but they are sat unused currently.

I have another set on my CR1, but Nitrous Oxide has pointed out that PBK are selling the 4iiiiiiiii cranks for only £279.99 - plus TCB cashback, probably makes it something like 270 or 275.

I understand they are really light (11g or something silly?), and they are to go on my dedicated light bike (Currently adorned with an original pair of Vector 2's, so would knock 130grams or so off the total weight if I were to swap them out.
The used Vector 2's would then be destined for another bike.

I can then either sell on the brand new pair, or just return them to CRC for a full refund, which would put me up by about £175-£200, and give me a lighter bike, although it would only be one sided power.

The other positive I thought of, is that these seem to be reputed to handle the rain well, and also when I do eventualy travel with a bike, this will be the bike I travel with to the mountains, although in all likelihood it will be in a car or a van, rather than on an airplane in a box, but would just mean if I was travelling in a vehicle I would not have to worry about the pods getting knocked or damaged, nor take a torque wrench with me to refit or tinker with them on arrival.

There's no question about be doing without power, I am addicted to the readings, and train to it several times a week, so it's more a question for those who use power regularly, and whether you think the single sided element (As I have had the Vetors for a while, I know my power output right versus left is usually 52\48 or 51\49), is offset by the lack of weight, better (potentially) ability to handle the weather, and the more simplistic travelling element.

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Just in case you weren't aware, 4iiii have a "scale factor" setting in the app, so if you know you are power dominant on one leg or the other, you can adjust the default 1.0 accordingly.

Not used it myself, as I have no idea of my power balance.

Been happy with my 105 version (which is currently £10 cheaper than this Ultegra at PBK) so far, paid £340 for mine back in April, the original CR2032 battery has less than 10% left and will need swapping out very soon (read I will discover a ride where it died and then react ;) ).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    Just in case you weren't aware, 4iiii have a "scale factor" setting in the app, so if you know you are power dominant on one leg or the other, you can adjust the default 1.0 accordingly.

Been happy with my 105 version (which is currently £10 cheaper than this Ultegra at PBK) so far, paid £340 for mine back in April, the original CR2032 battery has less than 10% left and will need swapping out very soon (read I will discover a ride where it died and then react ;) ).

That's handy, and would certainly cater for some of the differential.
    4 months use for one (?) battery is pretty good, like the fact you can find out what is remaining, presuming that is through the app?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Just in case you weren't aware, 4iiii have a "scale factor" setting in the app, so if you know you are power dominant on one leg or the other, you can adjust the default 1.0 accordingly.

That's handy, and would certainly cater for some of the differential.
    4 months use for one (?) battery is pretty good, like the fact you can find out what is remaining, presuming that is through the app?

Battery % through app and comes through to my Lezyne Super GPS, at least in ANT+ mode.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Daniel B wrote:
    Afternoon all,

I bagged a set of Vector 2's from CRC fairly recently, but they are sat unused currently.

I have another set on my CR1, but Nitrous Oxide has pointed out that PBK are selling the 4iiiiiiiii cranks for only £279.99 - plus TCB cashback, probably makes it something like 270 or 275.

I understand they are really light (11g or something silly?), and they are to go on my dedicated light bike (Currently adorned with an original pair of Vector 2's, so would knock 130grams or so off the total weight if I were to swap them out.
    The used Vector 2's would then be destined for another bike.

I can then either sell on the brand new pair, or just return them to CRC for a full refund, which would put me up by about £175-£200, and give me a lighter bike, although it would only be one sided power.

The other positive I thought of, is that these seem to be reputed to handle the rain well, and also when I do eventualy travel with a bike, this will be the bike I travel with to the mountains, although in all likelihood it will be in a car or a van, rather than on an airplane in a box, but would just mean if I was travelling in a vehicle I would not have to worry about the pods getting knocked or damaged, nor take a torque wrench with me to refit or tinker with them on arrival.

There's no question about be doing without power, I am addicted to the readings, and train to it several times a week, so it's more a question for those who use power regularly, and whether you think the single sided element (As I have had the Vetors for a while, I know my power output right versus left is usually 52\48 or 51\49), is offset by the lack of weight, better (potentially) ability to handle the weather, and the more simplistic travelling element.

Thanks

Dan

I have a 4iii Ultegra crankset. Very light, very discrete, but reads very low vs my Direto. I've played around with scale factor but have never got it quite right. If you're used to a dual sided set up you may not be happy with the accuracy.

If you're thinking of sending the Vector 2s back to CRC PM me first - I'd probably be interested (assuming you're selling at the silly £450 price you bought them for).
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Dan B - I've just been e-mailed a "We miss you - have 12% off" code from PBK which would make the 4iii approx £245 for me.

The code will be linked to my account so non-transferable, but if you're still interested in the 4iii then I'll make you an offer of the new 4iii plus £180 for the Vector 2s - that way we'd both be quids in.

DM me if interested, I'm sure we'd work out logistics somehow.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I got this 6 months ago for the race bike
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Praxis ... lsrc=aw.ds

The quality is top dollar.. ok I had to spend extra on a Praxis BB30 conversion.
    The 4iiii battery life is super long. It is accurate - it just works.
    With conversions for other BB standards, it is transferable.
  • daniel_b
    super_davo wrote:
    Dan B - I've just been e-mailed a "We miss you - have 12% off" code from PBK which would make the 4iii approx £245 for me.

The code will be linked to my account so non-transferable, but if you're still interested in the 4iii then I'll make you an offer of the new 4iii plus £180 for the Vector 2s - that way we'd both be quids in.

DM me if interested, I'm sure we'd work out logistics somehow.

Thanks for the thought/offer SD.
    I was considering it, but it would seem the point is moot now, as the 175mm is now out of stock :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • You could always get a 172.5mm Ultegra version, your secret will be safe with me. ;)

Or buy the 175mm 105 version https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-po ... 73315.html . :shock: :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Don't be too hasty, those pbk we miss you codes are usually capped at £25 savings.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Oh, and if I were you I wouldn't even think of downgrading to a single sided power meter - save yourself the hassle and stick with what you have.

Good power training and pacing is worth much more than a few dozen grams saved.
  • daniel_b
    lol, I'm not going to have mismatched cranks in length or groupset - call me shallow if you like ;-)

I hear what you are saying about downgrading as it were, was just thinking with the improvement in travel simplicity it could be a worthwhile sacrifice.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18