Noise from Dura Ace 9100

bd10kt
bd10kt Posts: 8
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi all,

I had the DA 9100 installed (compact in front and 12-25 in the back) around 4 weeks back. Had initial cable stretch, that was adjusted in the shop again, so shifting is scrip and no issues whatsoever. However, I am getting - or so I think - quite a lot of noise from the cassette (or derailleur?). My old Shimano 105 was never that noisy. I struggle to identify the root cause.
I made some short clips:

when on small chain ring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAlrrHhqDyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egrYQpxPJgU

when on large chain ring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxw6szkBzOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0BbSJLiia0

Or maybe it's just in my head that it's not abnormal to be that noisy. Could that be? Or is there potentially something wrong that better needs fixing before I cause damage?

Thanks v much,

bd10

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    What’s it like when it’s clean?

Is the cassette tight?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bd10kt
    I cleaned it just the other day. The cassette looks pitch black but that's just because I shot the clip with my mobile phone. It's lubed and had 2 small rides since the last clean.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Is the cassette tight?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bd10kt
    just checked, the cassette is tightly fitted.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Ive noticed ultegra cassettes are quieter. Ive no idea why that might be.
  • champson
    champson Posts: 57
    I think I have the same issue. I am almost convinced it's the cassette and will put an Ultegra on next to see if that changes anything. If your issue is the same, then the noise is worse when on the big chain ring (whether cross-chaining or not). The gears are perfectly indexed and no chain rub (when using trim).
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    champson wrote:
    I think I have the same issue. I am almost convinced it's the cassette and will put an Ultegra on next to see if that changes anything. If your issue is the same, then the noise is worse when on the big chain ring (whether cross-chaining or not). The gears are perfectly indexed and no chain rub (when using trim).

Yes that is the case for me. Its not a chain line issue for sure.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I have the R9150 DA di2 and it was noisy, fifth cog down and it just ran rough. Derailleurs set up perfectly, changes perfect put still noisy. Changed cassette to an Ultegra one that had done about 1000 Miles and noise gone. Speaking to my LBS R9100 / R9150 takes a few miles to bed in.
  • Did anyone manage to sort this as im going through the same at the moment, cheers
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    Just curious, because you’re replying to an 18 month old thread... did you just start riding indoors? My trainer sounds a mess, same set up as my road bike. Just more noticeable with no other road noise.
  • I am just searching for an answer, i.have Dura ace 9100 and no matter what i do it sounds noisy on the big ring and in the middlei ish of the rear cassette, everything is indeed correctly but it sounds noisy. I don't use this bike for indoor, its when i ride on the roads
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

I am just searching for an answer, i.have Dura ace 9100 and no matter what i do it sounds noisy on the big ring and in the middlei ish of the rear cassette, everything is indeed correctly but it sounds noisy. I don't use this bike for indoor, its when i ride on the roads

it is odd, ive notived the noise. Wax chain lubes seem to quieten it. I think its the chain that makes the noise since some are noisy and some arent.....
  • 9100 is noisy (comparatively) compared to the ultegra version, maybe the trade off is the cassette? The carbon d/ace is lighter but I think that might be the root cause of noise issues.
  • Just been out and can't be doing with my winter bike that has ultegra being quieter than my decent bike with dura ace, going to swap cassette, and new chain, and some better jockey wheels, see if that helps.
  • I ran 9000DA and 9100DA 12-28 and both are noisy, last year i was to a race and was overtaken uphill the man he had the same problem with his Cassette easy to hear....so i reckon its normal Da cassette are noisy, but ultegra are silent sorry my spelling
  • Just swapped chain, and Durant ace cassette of and ultegra on, will post after ride tomorrow