Groupset advice

lurpak
lurpak Posts: 78
edited August 2018 in Road beginners
I bought a 2003 trek 2300 used earlier in the year as a first road bike. It's all stock with the original components from when theprevious owner bought it. Having ridden it for a bit I want to mve to a compact chainset which means swapping out bottom bracket etc. I am therefore thinking about maybe moving to a more modern groupset from the ultegra 6500. I am torn between tiagra and 105. Will I notice much of a difference over the ultegra? Should I be looking at the very latest version of each?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    105, yes and yes.

Or Rival.

Bear in mind that any compact crankset will work with the groupset so don't restrict yourself. Loads in the sales and what you save on the crankset can be put towards a higher spec groupset.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lurpak
    Am I going to be able to change the crankset in isolation to something like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod116500

I know the bottom bracket will also need doing but what about shifters etc. The bikes just gone in for a service and now it is going to need some bits replacing like the headset so want to keep costs down.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited August 2018
    Yup, although dependant on how worn the chain rings are you may need a new chain and cassette.

What b/b do you have? If you stick with a square taper b/b and crankset a square taper b/b is less than a tenner.

Remember, shifters do the mechs - all the chainset does is hold the chain rings.

Bear in mind that you will have to drop the front mech down to accommodate the smaller chain rings so front mech will have to be readjusted.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're wanting a compact chainset and the rest of the stuff is still working OK, the cheapest option is just a new chainset and BB.

So check out the usual online retailers for potential bargains, or consider Ebay.

But if you're really hankering after an entire new groupset, wait a month or so. The new 105 R7000 will then be available, so you might start to see the outgoing 105 5800 gear discounted to clear old stock
  • lurpak
    I'll get an idea later today what state everything is in. It all felt fine when riding it so hoping it just needs a good strip and clean.

The bottom bracket is an octalink which I think is now obsolete. The minimum I want to do is move to a compact so if that one will work with a 9 speed ultegra then might treat myself
  • keef66
    Yes, the chainset you linked will work with the rest of your groupset. You'll need a BB to go with it, eg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod108701

(English thread, 68mm)

If you're doing the swap yourself you'll need a splined BB tool and a long lever to get the old Octalink out, and a different BB tool to screw the new Hollowtech BB cups in. And a little star shaped thing to do the plastic preload cap on the new LH crank (they sometimes come with the Hollowtech BB tool) and then an allen key to tighten the pinch bolts which secure it.
  • Matthewfalle
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/a ... 34t-175mm/

Even cheaper plus a square taper b/b is even cheaper than hollow tech.

Square taper is still really, bombproof.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Tools will be crank remover, b/b tools for Octalink and square taper - same one may even work for both if you're lucky.

Allen key to lower front mech and loosen/tighten cable.

30 min job.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    Forgot about getting the old cranks off! Though might not need crank remover if the original has the self-extracting bolt / cap arrangement, and it works. Big allen key plus pipe for a lever, or a hex bit and a socket handle.
  • lurpak
    Cheers for all the advice guys. The bike is in the lbs workshop at the moment so may use as the chance to have them replaced.
  • Matthewfalle
    keef66 wrote:
    Forgot about getting the old cranks off! Though might not need crank remover if the original has the self-extracting bolt / cap arrangement, and it works. Big allen key plus pipe for a lever, or a hex bit and a socket handle.

It doesn't - I have some in the garage and you need the extractor.

I must admit to really liking Octalink - its just a shame you can't get Mk1 (road (b/bs) anymore (well, apart from for about £6,291 each), only Mk2 (mtb and the splines are shorter so the cranks slip off).

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    I think my MTB had an octalink chainset. I say think because I never had cause to disassemble it. Despite a lot of abuse the BB was still going strong when the thing was nicked over 10 years later.
  • Matthewfalle
    I only took it off N1 bike to fit SRAM Red cranks. It's now on the turbo bike with the same b/b and tens of thousands of km later. All still going strong.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lurpak
    So I have done it. Getting lbs to fit 5800 compact cranks. Query is would a 5800 front mech make any difference? Also when I come to do rear drivetrain can I just move to 11speed without changing wheels? I've got the stokk bontrager race lite on there at moment.
  • Matthewfalle
    lurpak wrote:
    So I have done it. Getting lbs to fit 5800 compact cranks. Query is would a 5800 front mech make any difference? Also when I come to do rear drivetrain can I just move to 11speed without changing wheels? I've got the stokk bontrager race lite on there at moment.

No difference re mech as you are still running older Ultegra shifters. Just keep that mech as they work perfectly as is. I'd even keep it if you changed the shifters as they work fine.

No re 11 speed with your current shifters and rear mech because they are 9 speed so you will need 11 speed shifters, mech, cassette and chain.

Not sure if you mean you are still running 2003 wheels: if so then 99% offhand guess at no as the freewheel won't be wide enough to hold the cassette.

It'll hold 10 speed fine and, tbh, there's no difference between 10 speed and 11 speed when you're bombing along. I use 9 speed on the holiday home bike and have no complaints really.

If you want to go full 11 speed it's going to cost more than the bike is worth..........

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lurpak
    Cheers for the advice. Yes it is the original wheels I meant. I knew the gears and shifters were going to need to be replaced. 10 speed will probably be my limit but can't see if 5800 comes in 10 and 11 speed.

I am planning to use the bike as an upgrade project and perhaps swap frames out eventually. It only cost me 120.
  • Matthewfalle
    10 speed 105 will be perfect for it. I have a feeling that 5800 is only 11 speed - the previous iteration of 105 was pretty shitt tbh.

You will be able to pick up 10 speed new o Ultegra though, or 10 speed Rival - chainset will be fine either way.

Edit: chain reaction is listing 10 speed Ultegra 6700 if you fancy it. Buy it bit by bit and spread the cost.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lurpak
    Thanks. Will keep an eye out in the sales and snap bits up as I go. I'm looking forward to see what difference running compact chainset will make
  • Matthewfalle
    No worries - MF is happy to help where he can.

Check Merlin as well - always a couple of pounds difference between the two with way: no logic or reason behind the price differences.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    You can fit 5800 to your bike with it's 8/9/10 speed wheel provided you use an HG800 or HG700 11-34 cassette.

The shifting and especially the braking will be a significant improvement. If you get R8000 or R7000 series brakes it will be better again..
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • lurpak
    Why those specific ranges out of interest?
  • Matthewfalle
    MF was just wondering why you would fit 105 if you can get Ultegra?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lurpak
    Price is king for me. And I think 105 will be all I ever need.
  • Matthewfalle
    lurpak wrote:

Nah - 105 is alright but it’s not going to blow your socks off. Ultegra is better and for a few squiddlies difference you may as well.

And who says it’s all that you need? Why settle for mediocrity?

Don’t tell anyone but I have 5800 11 speed on a top of the range slightly older carbon bike that I lent to someone for a race - new cables all round, set up perfectly, new chain and cassette so All as should be.

“Hmmm, it’s a bit clunky” she said “can I borrow that one?” She said pointing at the Ultegra bike.

The hoods are also bigger and less comfy on 105 so if you have smaller hands it’s not as nice as Ultegra.Action isn’t as smooth.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    And Ultegra looks nicer.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lurpak
    I'll bear that in mind when hunting for bargains. Managed to grab a 105 campact crank and bb for less than £100
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    lurpak wrote:

Nah - 105 is alright but it’s not going to blow your socks off. Ultegra is better and for a few squiddlies difference you may as well.

Don’t tell anyone but I have 5800 11 speed on a top of the range slightly older carbon bike that I lent to someone for a race - new cables all round, set up perfectly, new chain and cassette so All as should be.

“Hmmm, it’s a bit clunky” she said “can I borrow that one?” She said pointing at the Ultegra bike.

The hoods are also bigger and less comfy on 105 so if you have smaller hands it’s not as nice as Ultegra.Action isn’t as smooth.

No they are not! I have 5800 and 6800 on different bikes. The only way to tell the difference is to look at the badge or weigh them. However I am the guy who can not tell how quick my wheels spin up or roll and I do not know how stiff my bottom bracket is. One thing I do know is that on this forum the advice ranges from sound advice to total boll0cks.
  • Matthewfalle
    lesfirth wrote:
    lurpak wrote:

No they are not! I have 5800 and 6800 on different bikes. The only way to tell the difference is to look at the badge or weigh them. However I am the guy who can not tell how quick my wheels spin up or roll and I do not know how stiff my bottom bracket is. One thing I do know is that on this forum the advice ranges from sound advice to total boll0cks.

Yes they are Les!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    lurpak wrote:
    Why those specific ranges out of interest?

The 34 sprocket is large enough that it doesn't foul the spokes and can hence sit more inboard allowing the cassette to be dished to clear the hub at the inner end of the freehub.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D