Group Ride Sherwood Pines Sun 30th Sep'18

steve_sordy
steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
edited February 2019 in MTB rides
By popular request, an off-piste ride at Sherwood Pines! :D

Sunday 30th Sep’18. Ready to ride at 10:00am by the Cafe veranda. (start & finish point)

Feedback from previous rides support that this is a good outing and very enjoyable. Look up the previous outing on 24th Jun'18, read the comments, watch the vids from Billy Cool. 8)

It's here! viewtopic.php?f=10014&t=13092190

Eyewear is recommended, helmets mandatory.

Use NG21 9JL for your sat nav. Car park all day is £6. There is a full service bike shop, bike wash, bike hire, good cafe, toilets.

Use this for the Weather Forecast: https://weather.com/en-GB/weather/5day/ ... 7838d8c0b7

Expect fast flowing sections, narrow winding trails through the forest, with lots of angled roots and overhanging branches. There are no rocks except in the Bike Park and where the FC has put them on the regular trails to add interest. There will be logs to ride over, sections of trail where you won't be able to see the ground because of the foliage, and short steep features - up as well as down. Some descents are high and steep (relative terms I know, but there has to be some mystery). Lots of technical features of varying difficulty.

Note: Every single drop/feature on this route is either rollable or avoidable if you don't like the look of it. You might have to carry your bike up/down some bits. If you have ridden a red trail pretty much anywhere, you can do this. There will be frequent stops to admire each other’s technique and bikes, and to do head-counts.

For those who have been before and believe they know what to expect, I am hoping to develop some trails that take us out of the Forestry Commission area. They will be rougher and steeper. My problem is how to deliver that and still have everything rollable or avoidable. Not sure if I can do that yet! :roll: I will keep you informed via this thread.

Distance is a variable, but assume 13 miles (may change, see above), plus any sessioning of any features and/or the bike park. Sessioning is standard practice. There is usually lots of chatting and urine extraction. You will never be more than 2 miles from the car park at any time if you need to leave before the group has finished. We will finish at the cafe. Of course you are free to tack on a 10-mile red or a 7.5-mile blue, as you wish before and/or after! :lol:

The objective is to maximise the of-piste trails and avoid the recognised trails, without being silly about it. So we will be using parts of the red, blue and green trails to move around. Also it would be such a shame to miss out the best bits of the red.

Because people like it, I will continue to use the trenches and other defensive features left behind by the World War I troops, who were being trained in trench warfare over one hundred years ago.

The route includes the bike park, and we will be rolling through the dirt jump area on the way to elsewhere, but we can pause a while if you want to, depending on the level of interest.

The brambles, nettles, and bracken that can be a problem in Summer when riding off-piste will be dying back, but they can still be a nuisance, which is why I will still be wearing my knee/shin pads and eye-wear. Consider yourself warned!

Oh and finally, I don’t want to be school-marmish about it, but it is very easy to get lost in these woods. So pay attention when I give directions! :)

Comments

• steve_sordy
    edited August 2018
    We now have 9 definite riders plus 2 possibles!
    Me + 2 + 1 possible
    Billy Cool
    Toffeeman
    898Kor + 2
    Sniper68 + 1 possible
  • steve_sordy
    PS: I have done quite a few of these rides and there are a few key things that make them a success.

Come prepared:
    We are going off piste, so expect to be riding over brambles and shattered wood from time to time, so bring a couple of spare inner tubes.
    It might only be 13 miles + sessioning, but you will be out for three hours or more, so bring plenty of fluid.
    Injury through accident will be responded to as required by the group. I am not a first-aider and I will not be carrying any kind of first aid kit. Note: We haven't had any accidents yet. (Crashes and involuntary dismounts yes, accidents no).

Be realistic about your abilities:
    Do not be jollied into attempting a feature that you believe is beyond your abilities. None of us want to be your stretcher bearer.

The group moves at the pace of the slowest, that is a given. Whenever possible, where there is an easily recognisable feature ahead, I let the fast boys loose and they wait for us slower guys. Nobody objects to slower riders in principle; one day you used to be the slowest, and you will be again in time. But if someone is really slow (for ex. we had one person turn up with a basket on their shopping bike - they just could not keep up at all), then please be sensible and call it a day and avoid holding everybody up.
    If you have a medical condition that is unpredictable and if it strikes will bring you to a halt, then bring a riding buddy (or buddies) that can look after you as if it was just the 2-3 of you on a ride. It might seem harsh that the rest of us will leave you (after checking you have all you need), but most of the group only get one ride per week and today is the day!

Pay attention to directions:
    It is no good just relying on following the rider in front. If you are slower than them, then a gap can open up that can put them round the corner ahead. They turned off the trail at the correct place, you missed it and everybody behind you follows you! I try to reduce the chances of this happening by giving clear instructions, but also by distributing amongst the group riders who know the way, or most of it at least.
    Look out for the rider behind you, make sure that they are aware of the sharp turn off the regular trail that you are about to make.

Frequent headcounts:
    Because we are going off-piste, the trail and the turns are not marked. Some turns are almost invisible to the casual eye. All the trees look the same and so do the forest roads. I have lost people from time to time (we did find them eventually), which is why I stop at intervals to allow the group to bunch up again so that we can do a headcount and minimise the time that someone can be roaming about out of contact. I say we do a headcount; I don't mean I will do a headcount! I have discovered by experience that I will be too busy working out where the hell I am, where we need to go next, can I let riders go ahead, what are the stopping points, what lies immediately ahead that the group needs to know about.... and so forth. Depending upon numbers one or two people will be asked to do headcounts.

Keep me informed:
    If you have run out of time, or have had enough and want to call it a day, please do not just leave - even if you know the way! If you just leave, we have to assume that you are lost. Please tell me before you go. I also may be able to give you a short cut back the car park.

One of my mates referred to me as "Scoutmaster Steve". Hmmm. I can see what he means ( :D ), but I have discovered through things going wrong or wished I had done differently, that someone has to take responsibility for organising the group. Err, that would be me.

PS: The Group Ride is free, gratis, no charge, no tips or gratuities required, nor will they be sought. Smiles are accepted though.
    :D
  • blokie13
    blokie13 Posts: 93
    I'll unfortunately still be a no whilst waiting patiently for a date for my shoulder surgery :-(
    Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport
  • steve_sordy
    Blokie13 wrote:
    I'll unfortunately still be a no whilst waiting patiently for a date for my shoulder surgery :-(

Oh dear, that is tough. Best wishes! :)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Probably just me unless I can get my mate to come!
  • steve_sordy
    Update: There was this bit in the first post on this thread

"For those who have been before and believe they know what to expect, I am hoping to develop some trails that take us out of the Forestry Commission area. They will be rougher and steeper. My problem is how to deliver that and still have everything rollable or avoidable. Not sure if I can do that yet! :roll: I will keep you informed via this thread."

There is a rough and ready trail that runs approximately parallel to the railway cutting. To the side of it there are some pretty large descents (50'-60''). There are also some smaller ones back down to the cutting (15'-20'), But in both options, you'll have to push back up. There looks to be other good stuff further away, but it needs exploring and assessing.
  • Thanks for letting me know about this Steve (probably wouldn't have noticed otherwise!)

Anyway... I'll be away that week in Amsterdam :(
    While I may well be cycling, it won't be quite the same thing!
  • steve_sordy
    Jump a few canals! :D
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Steve - I hope your lightning pace hasn't set fire to anything....

"The fire service has described the blaze near Sherwood Pines as "deep-seated" and said they would be at the scene "for some time".

A spokeswoman from the Forestry Commission said the fire is by a disused railway line and is not near the main visitor centre.

She said Sherwood Pines remains open as usual."
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:

"The fire service has described the blaze near Sherwood Pines as "deep-seated" and said they would be at the scene "for some time".

A spokeswoman from the Forestry Commission said the fire is by a disused railway line and is not near the main visitor centre.

My Google-Fu must be failing me, I could only find reference to the fire in 2009. I also went onto the Forestry Commission website and could find nothing. I was there yesterday (Wed) until about 5pm and noticed nothing. I have tried various numbers for the FC at Pines and got no answer. I even tried the bike shop, but the guy that answered the phone knew nothing about it.
    Could you post a link please.
  • billycool
    BillyCool wrote:

My Google-Fu must be failing me, I could only find reference to the fire in 2009. I also went onto the Forestry Commission website and could find nothing. I was there yesterday (Wed) until about 5pm and noticed nothing. I have tried various numbers for the FC at Pines and got no answer. I even tried the bike shop, but the guy that answered the phone knew nothing about it.
    Could you post a link please.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engl ... e-45116685

Scroll down to 11.21 (and 10.01)
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    BillyCool wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engl ... e-45116685

Scroll down to 11.21 (and 10.01)

I have since heard back from one of the FC guys.

The fire was on the other side of the old railway line next to National Cycle Route 6, just after it goes under the railway bridge. There are two railway bridges, this is the one that you can see (to the left) when you get to the bottom of Tornado Alley. It was a three engine turnout. My contact did not know anymore, but he was planning to ride down that way tonight anyway so he'l have a good look around and let me know what he sees. It is roughly in the area where I had planned to take the next group ride, but unless the fire was extensive, I doubt that we will be affected. :)
  • steve_sordy
    I have had news from my Forestry Commission mate who has just got back from a ride around the area affected.

He said that the area is the other side of the multi-user trail (the old railway lines). The fire has covered a significant area but doesn't affect riding, he rode around and through it. All good. :)

He didn't say what had caused it.

I'll be there tomorrow for a look for myself.
  • billycool
    Glad I didn't imagine it!

It's raining down my way, so hopefully that will help if there are any warm bits left.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    I just heard back and the cause was said to be "idiots".

Dunno whether that was carelessness or arson.
  • steve_sordy
    I have had news from my Forestry Commission mate who has just got back from a ride around the area affected.

He said that the area is the other side of the multi-user trail (the old railway lines). The fire has covered a significant area but doesn't affect riding, he rode around and through it. All good. :)

He didn't say what had caused it.

I'll be there tomorrow for a look for myself.

I did my normal route and I saw nothing. So the affected area is further away than I had thought.
  • zagora
    zagora Posts: 11
    Hi Steve, I've not been on the forum for a while and just seen the videos from the last ride (thanks for sharing them Billy Cool).
    Count me in for the next ride on Sunday 30th September. Im glad you changed it from end of August as ill be in South France on holiday then. ☺
  • steve_sordy
    We now have 10 definite riders plus 2 possibles!

Me + 2 + 1 possible
    Billy Cool
    Toffeeman
    898Kor + 2
    Sniper68 + 1 possible
    Zagora
  • steve_sordy
    Update: There was this bit in the first post on this thread

"For those who have been before and believe they know what to expect, I am hoping to develop some trails that take us out of the Forestry Commission area. They will be rougher and steeper. My problem is how to deliver that and still have everything rollable or avoidable. Not sure if I can do that yet! :roll: I will keep you informed via this thread."

There is a rough and ready trail that runs approximately parallel to the railway cutting. To the side of it there are some pretty large descents (50'-60''). There are also some smaller ones back down to the cutting (15'-20'), But in both options, you'll have to push back up. There looks to be other good stuff further away, but it needs exploring and assessing.

I have completed my exploration of this area as regards the outing on Sun 30th Sep. I believe that I've got a good additional route just outside the Forestry Commission area that everyone should be able to do. It has some interesting options for the more adventurous. There are actually two levels to ride on, one higher than the other. So there are two 15'-20' descents down to the railway cutting, one after the other. Let's hope that heavy rain continues to hold off as this particular area can get a bit claggy. :lol:
  • I was out today with Billy Cool to check out my final route for Sun 30th Sep. He thought that the changes and additions were well worth it. :)
    I clocked 14.5 miles and that was without any sessioning, so some riders on the day will do more. The "out of FC section" is potentially more challenging in places. But as promised, everything is rollable, avoidable, and/or you can push up or walk down.

Billy Cool advised me to explain the term "rollable". I mean that the bike will roll over it and you don't need to jump the bike or hit your chain ring. But it may be too steep for some.
    In future, I will advise in advance where it is going to be steep.

We still have 10 definite riders plus 2 possibles!

Me + 2, + 1 possible
    Billy Cool
    Toffeeman
    898Kor + 2
    Sniper68, + 1 possible
    Zagora
  • It was a good run out.

Good mixture of trails, some quick single track and slower technical ups and downs. You do have to pedal a lot of the time.

13 or so miles doesn't sound much in a straight line but off-piste it's a fair amount of effort. I used nearly 2 litres of water and some snacks. The brambles do bite, so long sleeve tops are preferable, along with at least knee pads. They did rip at your shins a little as well in places.

Should put most people out of their comfort zone at some point. There aren't any jumps as such and it's deffo more XC than DH. Running nice and quick in the dry. Great fun and a nice way to spend 3-4 hours.

This is the route:

https://www.relive.cc/view/1814721819
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • BillyCool wrote:
    It was a good run out.

This is the route:

https://www.relive.cc/view/1814721819

Looking forward to this one!

Mk1 child is itching - has a new Mondraker Dune R to blast about....
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • That's good Billy Cool. That video shows how much more there is of Pines still to explore. But knowing the woods as I do, I'd need to take a machete with me to blaze a trail!

Anyway, I'm having time off the bike at the moment! :(

Last Sat, I was doing some heavy duty gardening and forgot to put my gloves back on after lunch. I got a blister in the web between my left thumb and forefinger. It was about 10mm diameter and the top had been rubbed off, all red raw and weeping. I was due to go on the Pines ride with Billy Cool the day after so I padded it up and strapped it with lots of tape and put my riding gloves on. Thought I'd be OK; I wasn't! :(

I didn't feel too much while I was riding, but the edges of the blister had been peeled back further, so it was even bigger! :shock:
    My days of having tough calloused hands are many decades behind me, so I have been looking after it ever since. I've been treating it with a broad spectrum antibiotic powder I bought when I was abroad. I've been keeping it dry; vinyl glove and Sellotaped wrist at shower time etc. It finally scabbed over during last night and has started shrinking. Because of where it is though, it keeps cracking open. I would not have thought that such a small injury could be so troublesome. But at least it gets me out of any further gardening! :lol:
  • We now have 10 definite riders plus 3 possibles!

Me + 2, + 1 possible
    Billy Cool
    Toffeeman
    898Kor + 2
    Sniper68, + 1 possible
    Zagora
    Aaron1979 possible
  • I spoke too soon, Billy Cool has just told me that he has had to drop out for something extremely important. :(

So we now have 9 definite riders plus 3 possibles!

Me + 2, + 1 possible
    Toffeeman
    898Kor + 2
    Sniper68, + 1 possible
    Zagora
    Aaron1979 possible
  • I was out there today checking the route. I had to get my saw out to remove the branches from a fallen tree that was blocking the trail (outside the FC area). Despite the rain we've had in the last week, the trails were just damp (and that means no dust!) I was expecting mud, but once again I did not have to clean the bike after the ride. :)
  • Unfortunately i'm not going to be able to make it, the Ryder Cup is on and finishes on the 30th, only just realised. Sorry.

Thanks
    Phil
  • Oh dear. :(
    Now we are down to 8 definite riders plus 3 possibles!

Me + 2, + 1 possible
    898Kor + 2
    Sniper68, + 1 possible
    Zagora
    Aaron1979 possible
  • Oh dear. :(
    Now we are down to 8 definite riders plus 3 possibles!

Me + 2, + 1 possible
    898Kor + 2
    Sniper68, + 1 possible
    Zagora
    Aaron1979 possible

Steve, sorry to have to say this but myself and my +2 will be dropping out - it clashes with the NEC bike show and tickets have been purchased by a workmate (who just assumed I would go).

Sorry about that, will look out for the next one.
    Bossnut V2
    Levo FSR Comp
  • Ah well, enjoy the NEC, it's a good day out (go to lunch just before 12:00 to avoid the crush and if you want to test ride some bikes, do it first and do it early. :)

Now we are down to 5 definite riders plus 3 possibles! That means fewer chances of losing anyone! :)

Me + 2, + 1 possible
    Sniper68, + 1 possible
    Zagora
    Aaron1979 possible

What a shame as the weather next week is forecast to be mostly sunny and with hardly any rain at all, so the trail should be in great condition and with a nice 15degC to enjoy it in. :D

Would those "owning" the possibles please confirm, so we know whether to wait for them if they are a bit late.