Weight limit for dirt jumping

RC755
RC755 Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in MTB general
This maybe a silly question but here it goes. I have been MTB riding for many years, XC, bike parks and trails. I have been really keen on doing dirt bike jumping so I bought a Radio Fiend jump bike with front sus. The problem I have is 1 the bike is tiny on me and the second is my weight. At 120kg and with my height the bike feels awful and not stable. So my question is should I buy an old DH bike or use a full sus to take my weights on the jumps, as I don’t want to buckle the rear wheel. Any advice greatly accepted

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    DH bikes are rubbish for jumping, and FS, not really much better. hence jump bike. Find one that fits you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RC755
    From what I can see the most jump bike only come in one size ?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I used to ride BMX and dirt jump bikes and they're not that much different. Both better suited to skateparks or smooth BMX style dirt jumps than the type of jumps you're likely do on a mountain bike. They tend to get a bit wild on the faster/rougher trails as along with the short wheelbase, the forks are designed for big hits rather than small bump sensitivity. You do get used to their size compared to MTBs but after years of being hunched over or sat on a slammed seat I was getting trouble with my lower back and knees so gave it up for bouncy bikes. I did it until my mid 20s with another dabble in my early 30s so would never say they're kids bikes, but it's definitely a young man's game :)

You can most certainly jump DH bikes though... just look at any Euro/US bike park or comps like Rampage and the FEST Series. Having said that those guys are pros and the bikes tend to be a bit long and slack, so if you're coming from an XC background you'd probably be better off with a freeride, enduro or slopestyle bike which can still handle the jumps and drops but is more pedal friendly/versatile than a DH bike.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • RC755
    Citizen Lee, what a cracking bit of advice and guidance. Thank you for the heads up.