Rate the race: Tour de France 2018

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    I was tempted to mark higher due to Geraint’s performance but stayed objective and went for a 6. There was enough doubt to keep it interesting up until Friday as no-one knew if Geraint could hold on for 3 weeks, a few decent stages but ultimately not enough GC action and too many contenders crashing out, carrying injuries or out of form.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

Dumoulin saved it for me - not a believer of G Whizz

I've see this sentiment a lot amongst the disgruntled and for the life of me can't figure how they make the distinction.
    How can one conservative, time trialing diesel be more exciting than another?
    The only difference I saw was that when Thomas did attack, he gained time.
    It's like many of the Dutch who find Thomas's transformation, as they like to call it, "unbelievable" while at the same time buying into Dumoulin's evolution, whole heartedly.
    Weird double standards

We’ve seen it a few times with SGS, he seems to suffer from sour grapes when the great French hopes fail yet again.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

I've see this sentiment a lot amongst the disgruntled and for the life of me can't figure how they make the distinction.
    It's like many of the Dutch who find Thomas's transformation, as they like to call it, "unbelievable" while at the same time buying into Dumoulin's evolution, whole heartedly.
    Weird double standards
    Especially as Dumoulin and Thomas could have been each other's shadows for most of the race.

Actually a lot in common between Thomas's stage wins this Tour and Dumoulin's win at Oropa last year - stay with the main group on the climbs and outsprint them at the finish.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Weird double standards
    Especially as Dumoulin and Thomas could have been each other's shadows for most of the race.

Actually a lot in common between Thomas's stage wins this Tour and Dumoulin's win at Oropa last year - stay with the main group on the climbs and outsprint them at the finish.

“not a believer of G Whizz”!? Encroyable!...

The poor Dutch whose last GT player was Eric Breukink and the poor French who desperately want to take their ball away but can’t because the French, and France, IS the “ball”...

And do you remember - it only seems like yesterday that people were moaning about Contador’s “stay with the main group on the climbs and outsprint them at the finish”(cut and paste for the Vuelta)...?