Deep section rims

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited August 2018 in Road beginners
Hiya was looking for some advice, I'm running some 62mm deep section rims during the summer and mostly it's good, but days where the wind is up, it can be a right handful, mostly ok but can be scary on decent.

I was thinking of getting a 40,42 or 45 front and use this on days when the wind is a bit higher but keeping the 62 rear, would this make the experience a touch less hairy?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The profile make a bigger difference than depth. Also tyre width makes a difference. Tyres wider than the rim also decreases cross wind stability. So you could go shallower but get the wrong profile and fit 28s and still be in the same position.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just have a conventional wheel for the front.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    cougie wrote:
    If you don't mind looking like a bit of a prat ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    We dress in lycra...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Svetty wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Unless you are commonly pushing 30mph plus, you look a bit of a prat with 62mm rims front and back!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    The answer is yes all other things being equal a 40mm front will make the experience less hairy. 60mm is pretty deep to be riding about on day to day so if you have been OKish with that a 40mm front of the same range if that's possible will improve things. Same range for looks and presumably they wont have an inferior profile in terms of cross winds.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Unless you are commonly pushing 30mph plus, you look a bit of a prat with 62mm rims front and back!

30kph
  • cycleclinic
    as i have point out cross wind stability depends on more than depth dvallmerick. tyre width relative to rim width is an improtant factor. To keep the same profile when reducing depth the rim has to get narrower. then the tyre fitted should be narrower but that wont be the case. Hense the hoped for gain in cross wind stability can be lost. In addition the air becomes more turbulant more quickly as it passes over the tyre in a head wind so not only is your cross wind stability reduced but your drag is increased.

This the problem with all things being equal they are not.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    as i have point out cross wind stability depends on more than depth dvallmerick. tyre width relative to rim width is an improtant factor. To keep the same profile when reducing depth the rim has to get narrower. then the tyre fitted should be narrower but that wont be the case. Hense the hoped for gain in cross wind stability can be lost. In addition the air becomes more turbulant more quickly as it passes over the tyre in a head wind so not only is your cross wind stability reduced but your drag is increased.

This the problem with all things being equal they are not.

Fair point, though a matching set still looks better.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jpower
    If it helps the rims are Reynolds Strike with 23mm front and 25mm rear tyre. I was considering a Reynolds Assault front running 23 or 25 this is on an Aeroad.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    are the MFs the only people here who run 50mm+ all year round and don't fall off?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    45mm front 55mm rear here
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    jpower wrote:
    Hiya was looking for some advice, I'm running some 62mm deep section rims during the summer and mostly it's good, but days where the wind is up, it can be a right handful, mostly ok but can be scary on decent.

I was thinking of getting a 40,42 or 45 front and use this on days when the wind is a bit higher but keeping the 62 rear, would this make the experience a touch less hairy?

To answer your question, running a shallower front will alleviate your problem. I ride 50mm wheels 90% of the time but do use 60s occasionally. The latter can be a bit of a handful in crosswinds but in my experience it’s always the front wheel that gets pushed around.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
  • Matthewfalle
    Shipley wrote:

mf agrees.

this

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    48/56 deep I ride most of the time. I get no real issues from wind other and above my shallow climbing clinchers, very occasionally the wind at a certain angle can generate some torque on the front wheel but it's always pretty predictable and controllable. I think the modern U shaped rims has pretty much dialled this out.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    My current 65s feel loads better in the crosswinds than my 45mm Zipps did...
  • jpower
    Shipley wrote:
    jpower wrote:

To answer your question, running a shallower front will alleviate your problem. I ride 50mm wheels 90% of the time but do use 60s occasionally. The latter can be a bit of a handful in crosswinds but in my experience it’s always the front wheel that gets pushed around.

Thanks will keep an eye out for Reynolds Assault front wheel for breezy days.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    are the MFs the only people here who run 50mm+ all year round and don't fall off?

Been running 60mm front an rear no falling off but a couple of squeaky bum moments mainly coming from gaps in hedges etc.

Profile is key though if you have a narrow or poor profile it will be twitchy in a headwind and act like a sail in a cross wind.

You can stagger it though front shallow is common in TT and track anyway so wont look out of place.
  • jpower
    Step83 wrote:

Been running 60mm front an rear no falling off but a couple of squeaky bum moments mainly coming from gaps in hedges etc.

Profile is key though if you have a narrow or poor profile it will be twitchy in a headwind and act like a sail in a cross wind.

You can stagger it though front shallow is common in TT and track anyway so wont look out of place.

What do you classify a narrow profile as?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    jpower wrote:

13mm being narrow 17 being wide, its more a tyre profile thing a 25c on a 13mm ID rim gives you a lightbulb look to the tyre, the same 25c on a 17mm ID rim has a much better tyre profile. Though this may mean your 25c tyre is now a 26c tyre so frame clearances come into play there.
  • cycleclinic
    Have a look at hambinis site. He had done some rather good aero tests. Not the usual kind which frankly are junk and not informative. He has done something different and now knowing more about his protocol it good enough for me to send my wheel s to him for testing.

If you look at the results, deeper is not really faster always. As I have said before it's all in the profile. Also for normal human speeds 40to 50mm are best.

Also he has found tyre width making an important difference so fit a narrower tyre or your wasting your time.
  • Matthewfalle
    jpower wrote:
    Step83 wrote:

the MFs run 23mm Conti Sprinter tubs and have never had any problems running everything from 50/60 in winter to 80mm in summer.

#nodramas

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.