What wheels?

Bondy112
Bondy112 Posts: 6
edited September 2018 in MTB beginners
Hi guys. Just bought a GT Agressor xc3, but its got damaged wheels. What would you guys recomend at a budget price as I'm only going to be using is for commuting on road dirt path etc. Thankyou

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    More details are needed: what year is the bike and what size wheels are on it?

The XC3 is an older model, 2009-ish so I'm guessing 26" wheels but can you confirm?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    More details are needed: what year is the bike and what size wheels are on it?

The XC3 is an older model, 2009-ish so I'm guessing 26" wheels but can you confirm?

Yes sorry it's 2009 and wheels are 26"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For 26" Id be tempted to just keep an eye on ebay and pick up a decentish set used, for anything vaguely decent you'll be looking at about £160 (e.g. Mavic Crossrides from Decathlon) which is really more than is worth spending on the bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    What is wrong with the wheels?
    If they are just a bit buckled then your LBS should be able to true them again as long as it's not too bad.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Bondy112
    Bondy112 Posts: 6
    edited August 2018
    JBA wrote:
    What is wrong with the wheels?
    If they are just a bit buckled then your LBS should be able to true them again as long as it's not too bad.

Yeah already been to my local. Unfortunately the rear bike wheel is too far gone and can't be trued. And for some reason the front wheel isn't disc compatible
  • Just bought this set on eBay for cheap not really sure what they are etc. Just know there from a specialized pitch MTB. Anybody know anything about them?

https://imgur.com/a/5tmX3rD
  • JBA
    That looks like a 20mm front hub. Will your forks take a 20mm thru axle?

• JBA wrote:
    That looks like a 20mm front hub. Will your forks take a 20mm thru axle?

Well this I am not sure off. Not good news. Is there any adapters?
  • The Rookie
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-20mm-Thr ... SwO7hZ6gbp
    But these ONLY work if the bearings are outboard in the hub or it has a sleeve within the bearings, won't work with all hubs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    You post about UK only Bizango and then post about something you bought in $......

And that wheel won't fit his bike as it's a spin on freewheel not a freehub.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Tru-Silver-R ... B00CUGK5WA

It's also rubbish and puts your knowledge (lack of) into perspective.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    ^^^^* that £37 wheel is not going g to be great, a solid through axle is the first giveaway, no freehub means choice of cassette is much more limited, not a disc hub, no eyelets for the spokes and I'll bet the rim is not box section indicating its weak.

Better off buy a good used s/h than that.
  • The Rookie
    Except that eyelets are completely meaningless when assessing rim quality.....