Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited August 2018 in Road general

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Blimey
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,437
    Been following the dots on this for the first time. He's not even in the lead. I'm not sure how they do it!!!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Follow on frrt.org (other websites are available)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    First day, he probably wanted to make good progress... there used to be a control somewhere in mid France, which clearly is not there anymore.
    The race starts in the evening, most riders ride through the night and the following day, as they are fresh, so you will find that big mileage is typical on day one...
    left the forum March 2023
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I'm following 8 dots (7 now, 1 has scratched) and am left wondering whereabouts i would feature.

Current leader Bjorn seems to be maintaining and increasing his TOTAL average speed of circa 25kph. (straight line distance/hours). I think i'd manage 25kph MOVING avg for a day or so then fade. Massive respect to these guys.

Some of the others i'm following are only just scraping though CP1 on the time limit. They'll struggle to stay classified i'd think.
  • ugo.santalucia
    At the sharp end of the race, I expect people to move at 30 km/h average and stop only very briefly.
    Over 24 hours, 30 km/h gives you 720 km, if the real average is 25, then it means 600 km and it means they take 4 hours or so off the bike for cat naps and food... either way, I think average will go down
  • kingstonian
    Looks like James Hayden is about 260km ahead, if I'm reading the data right. Absolute monster riding.
  • ddraver
    Bjorn had a 12 hour break last night. Wonder if all is totally well.

The difference between the routes into CP3 could be interesting...
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    James Hayden is closing in on a win, 350km to go and he has a 350km lead to the guy in 2nd place. The distance and elevation these guys have covered is incredible.
  • ugo.santalucia
    More interesting to look at the tail end... some folks haven't gone very far at all :-)
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Looks as though we'll have a winner crowned before sundown. I can't comprehend that sort of pace.

The battle for 2nd and 3rd looks interesting. I think Bjorn (cap2) has them covered on pace - he's currently delayed at the Montenegro border which cap 1 took an hour to get through yesterday - but the rest are fairly well matched. Taking different routes mind.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Peat wrote:
    Looks as though we'll have a winner crowned before sundown. I can't comprehend that sort of pace.

Well, it's a race, not a tour... :D
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    LFGSS has a good thread following it:

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/315512/

Saying the guy in second should of used strave heatmaps to aviod going down road that turned into a a goat path....

GCN profile of the leaderrs bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIsuG8agZDI

46/34 and 13-34 gearing & removed padding from saddle.
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    My friend is doing it and is currently 19th.. chapeau to him !
  • ddraver
    Great work Turbo's friend

Im always thinking about manning-up and having a crack but I suspect I'd be one of the dots still in mid-France by now...
    - @ddraver