Should I modify it, or keep it stock?

Flukester
Flukester Posts: 5
edited August 2018 in MTB general
Hi, I have an CCM Savage 27.5in MTB. I've had this bike for around 2 years now and it's been pretty reliable. It has no issues going down trails, even root infested trails it still does good on.

I recently had the idea of upgrading the front fork because the stock one has started to leak a bit, and im not sure how to refill it or fix it.
I've also thought about getting some cheap brake disc kits off of Amazon... Are those worth it? And how would I know if any of these parts are compatible with this bike?

Here's the link to this bike, I had it for 2 years and beat the crap out of it through trails and its still very reliable. I had no issues other than burning through the brake pads within the first 2 weeks.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ccm-s ... 1187p.html

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    That is what is known as BSO.
    £200 for a full suspension bike isn't ever going to be good, you've done well to get 2 years out of it.

Don't waste money on it but by a decent Mt, you be looking at least 3x the price of the above.
  • Flukester
    Flukester Posts: 5
    Its still doing pretty well, I feel I can get another year out of it as I don't bike every day.. I got it on sale for 170$ Canadian, its usually around 350$cad I don't like spending more than that for bikes.
    Its been very reliable, I haven't had anything break on it except for the chain slipping and getting jammed often but I adjusted the derailleur and that doesn't happen anymore. The main reason I want to upgrade the fork is because it always bottoms out.. Its smooth over fast pace trails and its very good over jumps, but it hates roots and curbs. For me, I had poor luck with Walmart bikes. I am never touching those ever again. The last one I had snapped the derailleur right off the frame. This bike is miles better, never had issues on trails or roads. The trails where I live have roots that are huge and they are everywhere. If it survived that, its not bad for 170$. And that's over the span of 2 years. Its been through mud, rocks rain pretty big jumps and hills/curbs etc.. Its not the lightest bike but since I only use it to bike around every once in a while its doing good. The fork is barely leaking either, maybe a tiny grease spot that I only saw once.. I cleaned it off and it hasn't leaked since.

I'm not really looking to get a new bike soon and since its been doing so well, I wanted to get a better fork and some cheap disc brakes for it... But I'm not sure if they'll work with this bike as I never modified one before. If you have any recommendations or help in-terms of modifying it, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I would run it until it falls apart and then throw it in the skip. You have done really well to get two years out of it. It is not worth spending any money on it at all, especially not on potentially expensive components like forks.

I understand that you don't want to spend more than 350 Canadian dollars on a bike (205 British pounds). But that is a very small amount to spend for a bike that you want to ride in harm's way. I recently spent more than that on a service for my fork and shock. That is not to brag at all, but to illustrate just how far at the budget end of mountain bikes you are. If you like riding cheap and heavy bikes and most importantly, get some life out of them, then good for you. You are doing well. I sincerely hope that your luck continues. :)
  • snip

That's true man, thanks!
    I really haven't had the best of luck with bikes. The bike I had before my current one, was around $500 and it was stolen out of my garage not even 5 mins after I got home.. The next one I got fell apart after a few months and I wasn't even taking it on the trails. I was heading up a hill one day and the derailleur decided to snap :/... Which led me to this bike the most reliable one I had so far lol. Since its all muddy nobody wants to take it haha. Seems like the Canadian tire I got it from actually knew how to build bikes for once lol.
    There are a few front forks on Amazon for around 50-70cad for decent ones and then a 30$ front and rear full disc conversion kit isn't bad I think.

I'll wait till something falls apart on it, but if it keeps staying this reliable it might take another year. I'll leave a few pictures of my bike once I get the chance :)

Heres some photos, its a little muddy/dirty.. Still kinda want to mod it, even if I don't get another year out of it. 1DQEBT4
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Any cheap coil fork won't be much of an upgrade, a cheap air fork will make a difference though, a suntour Raidon, or the 2018 model suntour xcR.. Make sure its a new model XCR though as older ones are coil sprung and not really worth upgrading to.
  • tallpaul_s
    tallpaul_s Posts: 130
    *clicks link*

*shudders*

:cry: Do not spend any money on that thing. Save any money towards a proper bike, run it into the ground while you do so.
  • The little wire and zip ties on the front fork was from an speed sensor for a bike computer I had on it a long time ago..
    (..it has 114.7kms on it when the computer died. Its easily around 1,000 or more than that now.)
    The cord got caught in a few spokes a while ago and snapped in half.. Just been too lazy to remove it. I think the fork is actually doing a bit better now that I washed the bike. Feels a lot smoother and doesn't bottom out as much anymore. So I am not replacing the fork anymore. The only parts I would consider to replace would be the brakes. Is there any way to convert from v-brakes to discs and what kits would anyone recommend? I really appreciate help so far, thanks.
    The photos above don't really show how it looks as the lighting was terrible. Once I get back on the trail tomorrow ill link another photo.

For how much I paid for this bike I'm impressed with it. I don't really want to get a super nice bike as the last one I got was stolen right out of my garage not even 5 mins since I got home. That was the main reason I got this one after all that. Its usually 350$ i got it for 150, and there were other options at sport-check but I preferred this one more at the time.
    The decal of the fork says (ICE suspension) is that a brand of some sorts?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The rear has a disc brake caliper mount but the forks don’t.
    To convert to disc brakes you would need the brakes, discs, new wheels (as your’s don’t appear to have disc mounts) and new forks.
    Just do as suggested in a previous post: ride this bike in to the ground while saving to buy a better bike.
    There are cracking second-hand deals to be had if you keep an eye on eBay.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009