Bottom bracket confusion for Boardman Road Team Carbon 2014

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all.
A few years ago I bought the above bike on my employers cycle to work scheme. I've had the bottom bracket changed once by LBS and I know the bearings on one side have gone again. With the chairing and cranks removed..one side of the bb spins smoothly, the other feels gritty.
Anyhow...I think the bb is a PF30...from the original documentation I have for this bike, a part number for the bb is given as INT SM-BB7141. This confuses me somewhat as I would have expected it to read BB30 in there somewhere.

Anyway, what id like to do is order a good quality BB for this frame myself and once delivered just take it to LBS and pay for them to fit it. Can someone recommend me please a good quality bb to fit the Boardman Road Team Carbon 2014 model? I'm not sure what I should be ordering.
Thanks.

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'd guess it's a PF30 frame? These are different from BB30 in that PF30 the bearings press into plastic cups, whereas with BB30 they press into the frame. However SM-BB7141 seems to refer to Shimano BBs... so I'm lost! What cranks are on the bike?

Anyway, once you figure out what type you need look up Wheels MFG, Token Ninja, Praxis, KCNC and Hope press fit BBs. You get models to suit most crank/axle/BB types.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • pete1336
    FSA Gossamer cranks.
  • Following this thread with interest as I've also never been able to work out how to fit a Shimano crank to this bike!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod61803

If your original reference is correct, it's a standard Shimano press-fit and you must have a BB86 bottom bracket shell.

Not sure that's correct though if you have FSA gossamer chainset...

What does it actually say on the BB that's in there?
  • keef66
    Well Googling finds the Bike Radar review, which also lists the Shimano BB but says it's got a PF30 FSA chainset. So I'm stumped.

Any photos?
  • keef66
    edited August 2018
    Well everything I've now read suggests the BB's a PF30, and so presumably is your chainset. So what you'd need is an FSA PF30 BB.

Westbrooks cheaper than Wiggle / CRC:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/fsa-p ... wIQAvD_BwE

ETA but only if you spend £50 to get free postage...
  • pete1336
    Thanks all for your replies so far. As it's a PF30 which, as I understand it is a variation of a bb30....the bearings just press into the bracket don't they? If so...if just one side feels gritty, is it possible that just one new bearing needs to be purchased and inserted...or 'pressed in' to the bracket?
  • keef66
    In theory, yes. But they come in pairs, so you may as well fit both at the same time.

Or go the whole hog and fit one of these

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Wheels-Manufac ... ium=169609

Then you can pop new bearings in and out with ease and only do the one that's knackered if you like.
  • keef66
    pete1336 wrote:
    Thanks all for your replies so far. As it's a PF30 which, as I understand it is a variation of a bb30....the bearings just press into the bracket don't they? If so...if just one side feels gritty, is it possible that just one new bearing needs to be purchased and inserted...or 'pressed in' to the bracket?

PF30 the bearings are contained in plastic cups which are pressed into the BB shell. You can't leave the cups in place and fish out just the bearings without damaging the cups.

You can however do that with the Wheels Mfr adapter above. It also comes with better bearings than the FSA PF30.

BB30 the bearings themselves go straight into the BB shell
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    pete1336 wrote:

As per my original reply above, PF30 bearing press into a plastic cup whereas BB30 press directly into the frame.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb30-vs-pf30
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8