Advice on new bikes vs upgrade

bluepotter81
bluepotter81 Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi

I appreciate this question gets asked a lot but any advice greatly appreciated.....

I currently ride a Focus Izalco Pro, Ultegra group set, rim brakes. It’s about 6-7 years old. I love it but it’s a 10 speed with 53/39 set up which does not help me on hilly routes. Parts are getting a bit worn!

Anyway, I’ve considered buying a whole new Ultegra groupset (or Di2), putting new wheels on and a new seat. Basically, help me climb better and brake better. I’m riding the 312 Mallorca next year which is very hilly.

The cost of all this can be anywhere over £2000.

Am I better just to upgrade? I’ll use a new bike for another 5-6 years and have been tempted by the likes of Canyon who offer disc brakes, carbon frame, Ultegra, carbon wheels etc.

Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• deano802
    deano802 Posts: 67
    For that sort of budget I would definitely look at a Canyon Ultimate, would be perfect for the hills especially if you watched what Quintana did on one during the Tdf!
  • Yeah, big fan of Canyon. Frustrating they don’t do finance deals or stock in major outlets though.
    Thanks
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    N+1
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Most new bikes come with fairly mid to low range wheels so I would take new wheels out of the equation. Which leaves you with groupset. I put 8070 onto my winter bike for just over 1k, so if you like your frame then maybe stick with it and change the groupset.

Unless you want to do something significant and migrate to discs, etc.