Winter training bike options

bh2008
bh2008 Posts: 5
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, considering buying a new bike for winter/ commuting and would appreciate thoughts on whether old high end frame is better vs newer midrange...e.g 2002-2003 look carbon 381 vs Giant tcr advanced. Both would be kitted out with tiagra 4700. Look is full carbon, Giant is carbon with Alu steerer. I know I could be better getting a bike with eyelets for mudguards, but despite this have narrowed it down to these two....
So... old school retro vs bland modern....????
Advice appreciated!!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Unless it's got ample space for proper mudguards and wide tyres - I'd not bother. I loved my TCR but it's not a winter bike.

Plenty of good value options out there.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I've just ordered the winter Ribble frameset for under £130 with a few extra bits as the hack commuter et al bike.
    (It is an unforseen replacement - a piece of loose rampaging velcro can do untold damage to a frame, it seems).
    It'll have the PDW full metal mudguards and a slammed negative stem.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    The older Specialized Allez has rear eyelets for mudguards and fit 25mm tyres easily.
    You could probably squeeze 28s in (The Michelins I have on mine measure 27mm)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    bh2008 wrote:
    Hi, considering buying a new bike for winter/ commuting and would appreciate thoughts on whether old high end frame is better vs newer midrange...e.g 2002-2003 look carbon 381 vs Giant tcr advanced. Both would be kitted out with tiagra 4700. Look is full carbon, Giant is carbon with Alu steerer. I know I could be better getting a bike with eyelets for mudguards, but despite this have narrowed it down to these two....
    Advice appreciated!!

far, far, far cooler to go old skool than bland. why would you buy a bike that you've already said is bland? you're not going to like it so you're not going to ride it because its bland. drab. boring. unexciting.

its s bit like turning down a naughty date with TDNFNATN to hang out with Richard and his clubbie mates.

look with ass saver thing and a huge smile everytime you ride it.

also means that when you are cutting aound in the spring/autumn you look cool on your cool Look not some some dull clubbie on a drab giant.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Dannbodge wrote:
    The older Specialized Allez has rear eyelets for mudguards and fit 25mm tyres easily.
    You could probably squeeze 28s in (The Michelins I have on mine measure 27mm)

full carbon Look or an old Allez with fat tyres. seriously?

I can see TDN looking, pointing and laughing at you now ....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bh2008
    bh2008 Posts: 5
    bh2008 wrote:
    Advice appreciated!!

far, far, far cooler to go old skool than bland. why would you buy a bike that you've already said is bland? you're not going to like it so you're not going to ride it because its bland. drab. boring. unexciting.

its s bit like turning down a naughty date with TDNFNATN to hang out with Richard and his clubbie mates.

look with ass saver thing and a huge smile everytime you ride it.

also means that when you are cutting aound in the spring/autumn you look cool on your cool Look not some some dull clubbie on a drab giant.

Thanks for all your thoughts, to be honest Matthews just nailed my thought process....

Now just to clear up one final matter....did your third paragraph relate to your first or second paragraph...;)