eTap chainset compatibility

SJH76
SJH76 Posts: 191
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm trying to decide between SRAM eTap and Ultegra Di2. I'm more swayed towards eTap mainly due to the ease of setup. I have a Trek Madone which is probably the most difficult bike to cable up so anything that simplified that would be welcome so I'm not sure of Di2 as I'd prefer to do it myself.

The question is, since I would have to buy the groupset first and a SRAM chainset later would it work reasonably well with an Ultegra chainset? I know most 11 speed across the board is cross compatible but the way eTap works made me wonder of non SRAM X-GlideR chainrings causing any problems. If it's a minor thing I'll happily stick with the Ultegra chainset for a bit until I can afford the chainset which is another £300

TIA

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    should require a tiny bit of dialling in but nothing major!
  • SJH76
    I thought that most likely the case but you never know with the top end stuff. They can have subtle things that just cause problems if you don't have the setup as they recommend.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    There's no issue with self installing Di2. Its easier than installing cable outers and inners on a bike with a simple self made tool using a cable inner with a ferule and crimp fixed to the end. I had to contend with threading the cabling through a set of carbon 3T Aeronova to fit the bar end junction A that had so many rough edges inside I was convinced it was solid. But, I got there with a little perseverance.

eTap may have the edge with the simplicity of no cabling at all, but where Di2 has the edge is with the hidden buttons to control your head unit without taking your hands away from the bars and synchronised shifting.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • SJH76
    Another issue with Di2 is I'd have to get the control box cover specific to the system on the Madone. On the down tube there is a barrel adjuster that is inside the frame, to use Di2 you need to buy the other version which is another added expense. I'm not saying it's impossible to do, just that compared to many bikes the Madone is a very difficult one to work on. You get very little room for manoeuvre as all the cables are hidden. Just doing a brake cable is a chore and a half.

I could save myself about £500 getting it over eTap but I do like the simplicity of the gears changes on it. I'm not fussed with all the head unit controls. I leave my Garmin on 1 screen with all the data I care about in one page.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    eTap all the way.

simpler, cleaner, lighter, nicer to use, better looking.

why stay stuck in the past with cables when you don't have to?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • SJH76
    I agree totally. So long as it will work with a Shimano chainset for a bit I'm sure it'll be fantastic. A grand is a lot to spend so I'd rather be 100% sure beforehand.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,530
    i've used etap with sram red 10-speed non-yaw rings, praxisworks rings, and sram red 22 yaw rings, all work well, only slight tweaking of fd position

where people report difficulty setting up the fd, factors involved can be one or more of...
    poor set-up
    flexy fd mount
    compact chainset
    short chainstays
    chainline differs from sram's spec.
    worn chainrings
    using oval/other non-round chainrings

if you do want to add extra shift buttons at some point, you can, either get sram's 'blips', or you can make them (just a switch+cable+connector)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    eTap all the way.

simpler, cleaner, lighter, nicer to use, better looking.

why stay stuck in the past with cables when you don't have to?

You've not ridden with either so how would you know?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.