Road Bike for a Newbie!

WonderViking
WonderViking Posts: 7
edited August 2018 in Road beginners
As a long time work commuter (less than 5 miles each way) riding a Hybrid Bike, with 700 x 38 tyres, I'm looking into getting into road biking and getting a "proper" road bike. I don't really know much about bikes and need some advice on what is best
I'm currently torn between these two.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/ro ... lue_381811

https://www.bike-treks.co.uk/1171961/pr ... _bike.aspx

Which one is better in terms of reliability and value for money?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Congratulations on getting into cycling. Is £450ish your maximum budget or is that flexible within reason? I ask because I would personally look for Shimano Tiagra gears rather than Claris if I could but you may have to spend a bit more. In terms of reliability, a well set up Tiagra equipped bike will last as well as anything, the key is to make sure all the gears work smoothly using the adjustments.

I also wouldn't restrict yourself to female specific bikes necessarily, the differences aren't often that pronounced and you might find you fit a mens bike just as well. Plus you'll be more likely to find a good deal. You may need to buy a different saddle but I've replaced the saddle on every bike I've ever bought because saddle fit is highly personal
  • HaydenM wrote:
    Congratulations on getting into cycling. Is £450ish your maximum budget or is that flexible within reason? I ask because I would personally look for Shimano Tiagra gears rather than Claris if I could but you may have to spend a bit more. In terms of reliability, a well set up Tiagra equipped bike will last as well as anything, the key is to make sure all the gears work smoothly using the adjustments.

I also wouldn't restrict yourself to female specific bikes necessarily, the differences aren't often that pronounced and you might find you fit a mens bike just as well. Plus you'll be more likely to find a good deal. You may need to buy a different saddle but I've replaced the saddle on every bike I've ever bought because saddle fit is highly personal

£450ish is about my budget, however if the right bike comes along, I am happy to spend a bit more! Ahhh OK. It seems to be that when I go into any bike shop they always tend to point me towards the women's specific bike which is the reason as to why I have chosen those two bikes. I'll have another look around then! Thank you for your advice :D
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    If the shop know what they are doing and can help you find one that fits you may well find women's bikes fit you better but some brands don't change anything but the colour or stem length. My other half rode the whole North Coast 500 on my mens Cannondale supersix with a saddle she liked. We are the same height but her legs are a little longer I think and she had no issues (aside from no training and the constant rain/midges). If you make sure the frame is the right size you can change the stem length and height relatively easily.

That said, either of those bikes would be fine and you may find it comes with a more comfortable saddle for you straight away. I had a quick look and couldn't find anything with Tiagra for less than £600 or £700 but you can always upgrade over time if you feel you want to.

If you have a Decathlon close to you Btwin bikes always get a good review,this one has better gears than the ones you posted
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520- ... 77757.html
  • HaydenM wrote:
    If the shop know what they are doing and can help you find one that fits you may well find women's bikes fit you better but some brands don't change anything but the colour or stem length. My other half rode the whole North Coast 500 on my mens Cannondale supersix with a saddle she liked. We are the same height but her legs are a little longer I think and she had no issues (aside from no training and the constant rain/midges). If you make sure the frame is the right size you can change the stem length and height relatively easily.

That said, either of those bikes would be fine and you may find it comes with a more comfortable saddle for you straight away. I had a quick look and couldn't find anything with Tiagra for less than £600 or £700 but you can always upgrade over time if you feel you want to.

If you have a Decathlon close to you Btwin bikes always get a good review,this one has better gears than the ones you posted
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520- ... 77757.html

Ahhh OK! I'll make sure they don't push me towards the women's then and try some of the men's bikes. Might even find some good deals as well!. I've had a look at the decathlon bikes however the nearest one to me is about an hour and a half which is just too far, especially if I need to take it in for repair whilst it's under warranty! Thank you again for your help :)
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Ditto for the Btwin's.