Buying a bike for crits

robertlukescott
robertlukescott Posts: 14
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Next year is my last year racing as a junior, so I thought I’d race a bike that actually fits me. A friend of mine offered me a Ceepo Mamba. Does anyone know how this bike would work for crits? I feel like Ceepo designs there bikes to go in a straight line and nothing else (aka triathlons).

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    http://www.ceepo.com/portfolio/2017-mamba/

its a slower steering tri/sportive bike.

you can ride anything at a crits especially at your level.

if you want an all out crit bike (short wheelbase/quick steering/ali) then go caad or bowman palace.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • larmurf
    larmurf Posts: 110
    Next year is my last year racing as a junior, so I thought I’d race a bike that actually fits me. A friend of mine offered me a Ceepo Mamba. Does anyone know how this bike would work for crits? I feel like Ceepo designs there bikes to go in a straight line and nothing else (aka triathlons).

https://www.crossfitperpetua.net/road-b ... -2017.html

I have one of these over 2 years with no problems and this seems a very good price ...!!
    Mahatma Gandhi was asked by a British journalist what he thought of Western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea," he replied.
  • Matthewfalle
    didn't crossfit perpetua get bought up in a dodgy sites thread a few weeks back?

mf may be mistaken but worth a quick search.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Next year is my last year racing as a junior, so I thought I’d race a bike that actually fits me.

Off topic I know, but why did this not occur to you before?

Ceepo is essentially a triathlon brand, so I'm automatically biased. You don't say what budget you have, but pretty much any race-oriented road bike will do the job.
  • mrpbennett
    mrpbennett Posts: 102
    Thinking about the same, I have a 2012 Giant TCR 2 at the moment. As i only have space for one bike, I am looking to have a bike for crits but also be a good endurance bike. I have an aggressive riding position anyways so having aggressive geo doesnt bother me during a 60m + ride.

I was thinking about going for a disc model for the stopping power (to avoid crashes)

Any suggestions on such bike, I was looking at something like a spez allez sprint comp but disc.
  • Matthewfalle
    discs won't stop crashes. decent rim brakes are just as good as discs in crit situations plus lighter and the bikes are cheaper. less to break as well.

Palace, CAAD, team superlight off the 'bay.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    I'd buy this...

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Kinesi ... -2018/GHVB

Not too expensive if you crash it and the geometry is longer/lower than many top-end carbon race frames.
  • Matthewfalle
    I'd buy this...

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Kinesi ... -2018/GHVB

Not too expensive if you crash it and the geometry is longer/lower than many top-end carbon race frames.

fugly compared to the beautiful Palace though and roughly the same price .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shamrock134
    fugly compared to the beautiful Palace though and roughly the same price .....

I guess it's a bit no thrills on the aesthetics but in a crit nobody cares what you ride.

The Palace is a good choice too but I've seen too many of them around London now.
  • Matthewfalle
    incorrect. everybody cares what everybody rides. its an integral part of cycling. do you want to be known as the bloke on the jeff bag ugly bike or the bloke on the cool Bowman with the collection of lab coats?

surely the fact that thereis loads of them says something?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shamrock134
    I think I associate the Palace with a particular London club that has it as its team bike so I wouldn't be that keen on having one.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited July 2018
    I think I associate the Palace with a particular London club that has it as its team bike so I wouldn't be that keen on having one.

Crystal Palace has a cycling team..?? :shock:
  • Matthewfalle

MF wouldn't like to be associated with any club but if it annoys them if you are riding their bike and you are part of another matching clothes wearing organisation that would annoy them so its job jobbed.

Even better if you are beating them on "their" bike while wearing some clothes that don't match theirs.

Winner winner turkey breast for lunch my son.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:

Crystal Palace has a cycling team..?? :shock:

Can't be any worse than their footballerist team.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.