Frameset recommendation?

vortice
vortice Posts: 244
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Looking for my next project.

I want to build a bike based around a lightish rim brake frameset that will take 28mm tyres and full mudguards. Will be used purely on the road, year round but will also be my winter bike. Not particularly bothered which material but looking for endurance type geometry.

Can anyone suggest a frameset that will tick most of those boxes? Max price £1000. I’d be happy going second hand if in good condition. I’ve nothing against disc brakes but i have a spare rim brake groupset.

Thanks

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Kinesis 4s Disc?
    Despite the name it also allows you to use long drop rim brakes and gives you the option to change to disc brakes in the future if you want.

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... ht/4S-DISC

Another option could be a Condor Fratello:

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/c ... o-frameset
  • vortice
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Kinesis 4s Disc?
    Despite the name it also allows you to use long drop rim brakes and gives you the option to change to disc brakes in the future if you want.

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... ht/4S-DISC

Another option could be a Condor Fratello:

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/c ... o-frameset

Thanks Joe. Two good options. Much prefer the more modern looking racelight, though the reach seems quite long in a 54, but certainly worth looking into.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Dolan Dual on sale right now under £500
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Steel holds worth jobs at Planet X get really good reviews if you fancy something different. Good prices too.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • vortice
    Thanks for the ideas. Think I’m looking for something a bit more up to date. Had a look at the Allez at the weekend and would have been tempted if it could take 28mm tyres and guards, but I think it’s one or the other.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Domane but price likely an issue
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd vote for the Kinesis. I have the original Tk from which the 4S evolved. 11 years on and still fun to ride.

It was billed as a pure winter trainer back then; long top tube / short head tube to replicate the geo of a race bike, but with room for 25mm tyres and full guards with long drop brakes.

The head tubes are a bit taller now, they can take slightly wider tyres, and the cable routing is all internal, but beyond that they are pretty much the same frame.

Or if you wanted to save a few quid and don't want the future disc brake option, the Kinesis T3 is a slightly heavier, less sophisticated option. External cables too (which I prefer for ease of maintenance)
  • vortice
    Svetty wrote:

Yep, otherwise a definite maybe!
  • vortice
    keef66 wrote:
    I'd vote for the Kinesis. I have the original Tk from which the 4S evolved. 11 years on and still fun to ride.

It was billed as a pure winter trainer back then; long top tube / short head tube to replicate the geo of a race bike, but with room for 25mm tyres and full guards with long drop brakes.

The head tubes are a bit taller now, they can take slightly wider tyres, and the cable routing is all internal, but beyond that they are pretty much the same frame.

Or if you wanted to save a few quid and don't want the future disc brake option, the Kinesis T3 is a slightly heavier, less sophisticated option. External cables too (which I prefer for ease of maintenance)

Doesn’t appear too many options, so I’m starting to lean towards Kenisis. Thanks for the info.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I went through a similar search as you not long ago. The Domane in my local bike shop didn't look like it had anywhere near enough clearance for guards, whatever Trek claims. Otherwise a great looking bike (and also significantly over your budget, and mine).
  • vortice
    AKH wrote:
    I went through a similar search as you not long ago. The Domane in my local bike shop didn't look like it had anywhere near enough clearance for guards, whatever Trek claims. Otherwise a great looking bike (and also significantly over your budget, and mine).

Did you find anything else of interest?
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Not really, decided to stick with my Genesis Equilibrium. I think the limiting factor is that most rim braked bikes will only take a 35mm mudguard, and that's always going to be a fairly tight fit with a 28mm tyre, especially on a wide rim.

I came to the conclusion I'd be better off waiting and going disc eventually. The equilibrium I have will easily take large 25mm tyres and mudguards by the way, or 28-30mm without, but it's a lot heavier than you will probably want.

I discounted the Kinesis because the geometry wasn't endurance enough for me.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Vortice wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Yep, otherwise a definite maybe!

Don't know what size you are after, but Road Cycle Exchange have the Domane 5.9 available in a few sizes with ultegra Di2 for £1295.

Even if you didn't want the di2 you could strip the bike and sell for whatever parts you want to build it up with.
    Heck of a lot of bike for the money. I've used them to buy Aeolus wheels for my Domane in the past and they were very helpful.