Triple to Double

chris_bates1974
chris_bates1974 Posts: 2
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Starting to look for what would be my second ever road bike. I currently have a Tiagra equipped Trek Domane 2.0.

The chainset is a 50/39/30 and cassette is 11-28.

My issue is that I will for sure be switching to a double, but as a heavier rider with limited climbing ability, I want to make sure I spec properly.

The way I see it is that there shouldn't be much difference in going from a 30-28 lowest gear to a 34-32, which would be easy enough to find.

My question though, is whether I could go to a front double of 52/36, and use a 32 max at the back and still be able to climb what I can climb now?

I'd really like to go to 52 at the front if I can, but I don't think a 52/34 double is a thing?

All advice greatly appreciated! Cheers....

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I'd really like to go to 52 at the front if I can, but I don't think a 52/34 double is a thing?
    52-34 is too much of a jump.
    If you want a 52-36 and to keep the same low gear you have now you'll need to go 11-34 on the rear.
    Have a look at bikecalc.com and play around with the ratios.
  • Do you really need a 52? Are you regularly spinning out the 50/11 you have?
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I'd just stick with a regular 50/34 compact. FWIW, a 50/11 gearing is larger than a 53/12.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    I'd go 50-34 myself. To spin out a 50-11 is going some so I tend to opt for the 50/34. If I think the 34 is too low a gearing I can always pop on a 36 inner ring. It also leaves a smaller gap 50 to 36 vs. 50 to 34, so makes that change a little less of a jump.

To each their own though....
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Most deraileurs suggest going for a 16 tooth maximum difference between big and small rings hence the 50/34 or 52/36.
    How often do you currently use a bigger gear than 50x11?
    How often do you wish for a lower gear on your current bike?
    How will your fitness change in the coming years?
    I'd only go for a 52/36 if you regularly need a bigger gear currently or have structured plans to get fit and race.
    If you wish for lower gears or think you might lose some fitness then I'd go for a sub compact (48x32 or 46x30) with a 11-32.
    If you are happy with the low gear currently then a 34x32 is pretty similar to 30x28 and a standard compact will still let you go pretty fast.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I've raced for a few years on a 50*36 and never spun out so I'd second the advice that you don't need a 52.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I know I could have the same range of gears with a compact double and a bigger cassette, but I'll be 61 shortly, and I'm planning to keep my old 105 triple going for as long as possible.

I'm a lazy bugger so I stay in the middle 39T chainring most of the time, and zip up and down the 12-27 cassette. I only resort to the other 2 rings for long downhills or long / steep climbs, both of which are pretty rare in East Anglia. With a compact I fear I'd be doing a lot more front shifting and / or cross-chaining, and forever wishing I had an intermediate chainring .