Freakonomics / Lance Armstrong podcast

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2018 in Pro race
I highly recommend listening to this.

I found it fascinating - Especially the second half. His view on TV rights revenue doesn’t add up at all in the reality but that’s fine

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/lance-armstrong/
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    iainf72 wrote:

I found it fascinating - Especially the second half. His view on TV rights revenue doesn’t add up at all in the reality but that’s fine

Also on YT, search for WEDU. Awesome podcast, watch it daily.
  • iainf72
    G Hincapie wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Also on YT, search for WEDU. Awesome podcast, watch it daily.

The Lance on Freakonomics is an entirely different thing to the Wedu stuff.
  • G Hincapie
    Apologies, he's been talking about various revenue models for Pro Cycling on the podcast over the last few days.
  • iainf72
    G Hincapie wrote:
    Apologies, he's been talking about various revenue models for Pro Cycling on the podcast over the last few days.

He’s wrong there but Freakonmoics covers his journey and how he realised what he actually did etc is fairly compelling listening.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Listening now. Who is Michael Vick?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    His insights Interesting.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Why do you think he is wrong regarding the TV rights? IMO it does make sense that those contributing to the sport (the teams) deserve some benefit from the revenue they create.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Listening now. Who is Michael Vick?
    American football player. One of the best quarterbacks. Went to prison for involvement in dog fights.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    LA shouldn't be messin around with ideas of pro cycling grandeur. He should just give God* a call direct and tell him how it's going down on our planet.

*Depending on which God you have chosen.
  • iainf72
    joey54321 wrote:
    Why do you think he is wrong regarding the TV rights? IMO it does make sense that those contributing to the sport (the teams) deserve some benefit from the revenue they create.

Inrng did the numbers a few years ago

http://inrng.com/2014/01/problem-revenue-sharing/

Lance started off at 10%, didn’t he? Which would result in an insignificant amount of money.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    iainf72 wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

Lance started off at 10%, didn’t he? Which would result in an insignificant amount of money.

Interesting.

Though I do agree with Lance that something isn't right. In what other sports do you have teams folding into nothing. Highroad was the highest ranked team in the World Tour when it collapsed. How many times have we heard that Manchester United Footbal Club is on the brink of selling it's stadium and dispersing?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    Revenue sharing is the zombie idea that just won't die. We've seen plenty of smaller yet venerable races die over the years, the money just isn't there. If you combine this with increased demands on race organisers (rider safety and policing under potential terrorist threat, for example) and the fact that the races are actually competing against each other for status and space on the calendar then you can see just how ridiculous it is.

Meanwhile a parasitic journalism culture opts for the most scandalous clickbait doping headlines for short term revenue, which actively prevents a broader audience engaging with the sport. God knows it's a huge investment to get to the point as a fan where you can understand what's going on in a race and who the riders are, it's not an attractive proposition if you're constantly being given the impression they're all doping.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    joey54321 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

Interesting.

Though I do agree with Lance that something isn't right. In what other sports do you have teams folding into nothing. Highroad was the highest ranked team in the World Tour when it collapsed. How many times have we heard that Manchester United Footbal Club is on the brink of selling it's stadium and dispersing?

Plenty of teams have folded in football, and others have come very close. Leeds United played a Champions League semi final in 2001, a few years later they were under administration and playing in league 1. Usually football clubs have physical assets though - like stadiums
  • iainf72
    I always thought this was 2010 was very interesting

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/racing/g ... -barbieri/

That’s how cycling economic model works - It’s like google - ie, a huge advertising engine.
  • G Hincapie
    joey54321 wrote:

Like PPV points in MMA. It could work.

I can't see the PPV model working for Cycling though, so it would have to be a team distribution of advertising revenue.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    G Hincapie wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

Like PPV points in MMA. It could work.

I can't see the PPV model working for Cycling though, so it would have to be a team distribution of advertising revenue.

There isn't any money.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Isn't the point about Cycling though that it's a lost leader advertising opportunity? Teams don't expect to make money, traditionally they were only commercial entities taking a hit for exposure.

That however isn't very sustainable for a sport and for road cyclists who aspire for a paid career. It's almost like cycling is an amateur sport as far as the athletes are concerned (World champs, Olympics etc) but with semi-reliable short term professional terms with teams; the Gig Economy if you like.
  • iainf72
    jawooga wrote:
    Isn't the point about Cycling though that it's a lost leader advertising opportunity? Teams don't expect to make money, traditionally they were only commercial entities taking a hit for exposure.

Not only do teams not expect to make money, they're not allowed to make money.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    God knows it's a huge investment to get to the point as a fan where you can understand what's going on in a race and who the riders are".

Called in at an ordinary local at the end of a long and difficult day to find the Tour on TV and lots of knowledge and interest. Wouldn't have been on 10 years ago.