Superbike

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
edited August 2018 in Road beginners
Should I do all my training on a superbike or does it make sense to have a <$2000 metal road bike that will take all the abuse and only use the superbike when the conditions are ideal?

The superbike should be able to be used everyday but somehow I want to baby it and becareful with it.

Or perhaps my XC mountainbike can serve that role (such as in wet weather or in winter).

Comments

• bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    I wish my bike was a superbike.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    its not a superbike, its a bicycle.

just use it and when it breaks/wears out just replace/repair.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... kes-51127/

Even this site classifies it as a superbike. So it is a superbike.

But I suppose I will keep using it under all weather conditions. Else I will have too many bikes.
  • Matthewfalle
    Zest28 wrote:
    https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-2018-superbikes-51127/

Even this site enjoys the excesses of marketing hyperbole. So although its a nice bike its still a bicycle that you can buy in a shop in town, not some hand made, custom one off.

But I suppose I will keep using it under all weather conditions. Else I will have too many bikes.

FTFY.

A friend rides a full Di2/FFW deep rimmed Cervelo S5 as an all year round trainer/commuter/racer. In some people's eyes that is a superbike or near on. To us its just a bicycle to be ridden. He's just bought a new C64 with Enve wheels, full Di2 and all that jazz. In about 3 months when the novelty has worn off it'll go the same way.

Its a bicycle. Just ride it. When next year's crop of "superbikes" come out it'll be outdated, so no dramas really.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You're in road beginners ? I'd not advise a beginner to get a superbike - which is probably a bike costing what - 4 grand or more UKP.

You can get an ok bike for 500 UKP and a good bike for 1000. The difference between a 1000 and a 4000 bike is not going to be 4x.

I've a nice bike, its not a superbike but its as fast as my mates superbike (hint - its not about the bike) but I also have a winter bike that gets the wet and crappy conditions. The winter bike has fatter tyres and full guards and a cheaper Groupset - winter grit wears stuff much faster than in the dry.

Also beginners usually fall off more to begin with. Save the superbike for a few years down the line when you've a better idea of what you want in a bike ?
  • Matthewfalle
    Fenix wrote:
    You're in road beginners ? I'd not advise a beginner to get a superbike - which is probably a bike costing what - 4 grand or more UKP.

You can get an ok bike for 500 UKP and a good bike for 1000. The difference between a 1000 and a 4000 bike is not going to be 4x.

I've a nice bike, its not a superbike but its as fast as my mates superbike (hint - its not about the bike) but I also have a winter bike that gets the wet and crappy conditions. The winter bike has fatter tyres and full guards and a cheaper Groupset - winter grit wears stuff much faster than in the dry.

Also beginners usually fall off more to begin with. Save the superbike for a few years down the line when you've a better idea of what you want in a bike ?[/quote]

Why? If he has the money and likes the bike why not? And perhaps he knows what he wants in a bike now - looks, colour, frame material, marketing, etc?

People drive around in £100,000 911s but they aren't Alonso.

Its called freedom of choice.

Its just a bicycle. Just ride it, enjoy it and don't think too much about it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    This.
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    This.

LISTEN TO SMITHY

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Zest28 wrote:
    Should I do all my training on a superbike or does it make sense to have a <$2000 metal road bike that will take all the abuse and only use the superbike when the conditions are ideal?

The superbike should be able to be used everyday but somehow I want to baby it and becareful with it.

A lot of people do that, I tend to ride my nice bike in the dry (at any time of year) and my touring bike in the wet (rarely because mountain biking is more fun in the wet) but mainly because of the discs. If I had a disc nice bike I'd think less of it but it depends how worried you are about wearing your rims. No point wearing out a nice bike in poor weather if you are going to be going slowly anyway...

If you have the cash for both then go for it, there is definitely some placebo effect involved with getting on the nice bike after the heavy one too
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    We've all seen the riders with all the gear and no idea. Top of the range bike and within a year it's on eBay or at the back of the garage. .

No doubt MF would tell a new driver to get a 911 I'd they have the cash. That's not advisable either...

But it's the OPs money.
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:
    We've all seen the riders with all the gear and no idea. Top of the range bike and within a year it's on eBay or at the back of the garage. .

No doubt MF would tell a new driver to get a 911 I'd they have the cash. That's not advisable either...

But it's the OPs money.

they would tell them to buy anything they want as its their money. apart from a Rangie/Discovery sort of thing because they are really shyyyyt.

why should anyone's purchasing decisons be restricted because some people think that other people have to "earn the right" to own something?

buy bike. ride bike. buy car. drive car.

as an aside, why is either buying a bicycle or a car "not advisable"?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    Nothing about earning the right. Did I say that ?

Seeing as it's the beginner forum it's probably sensible to get a cheaper bike to work out what it is you want from the bike. Getting a superbike and finding you like time trials or triathlon isn't going to be optimal.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Really?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    if he can afford an expensive bike now its likrly he can afford another bike further down the line.

and its not a superbike - its just an expensive bicycle out of a box from a shop in town.

let the man buy what he wants when he wants it. he doesn't have to earn the right to spend his money as he wants to.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Gate keepers gon' gate keep :)

Has anyone answered OPs actual question yet? :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Matthewfalle
    yes - Mf and V68.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Just remember t wipe all the sweat off after yer Zwiftin' lah .
    If you actually take it on the road, al th' superbike shite will be knocked out of yeh.
  • Matthewfalle
    but the man at the shop who unpacked the box said it was a "superbike" and so did the journalist on this site so it must be a "superbike" and it will make him as fast as Boonen, no?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Ahhhh another raging inverse snobbery thread

It's your money, buy whatever bike you want .
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Matthewfalle
    ben@31 wrote:

this, exactly as MF and V said at the top of the thread.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    You've not answered the OPs question.
  • Matthewfalle
    Q: Should he do all his riding on his bicycle he has just bought or doeshe need to spend more money on another bike

A: Yes. its a bicycle there to be used. No need to buy anything else.

Totes simples obvs, innit. 3rd post down or something?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It depends. If the OP has abundant funds and the space to store several bikes, it would make sense to have at least a best bike and a wet weather bike.

If he's got the funds but no room for several bikes, then better to ride the best bike year round, get used to replacing (possibly expensive) parts more frequently, and put up with getting a wet @rse.

If space and funds are limited, a cheaper, do it all type of bike might be more sensible.

No sign of the OP recently...
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    ben@31 wrote:

From who?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    joey54321 wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:

From who?

From whom
  • Matthewfalle
    keef66 wrote:
    It depends. If the OP has abundant funds and the space to store several bikes, it would make sense to have at least a best bike and a wet weather bike.

If he's got the funds but no room for several bikes, then better to ride the best bike year round, get used to replacing (possibly expensive) parts more frequently, and put up with getting a wet @rse.

If space and funds are limited, a cheaper, do it all type of bike might be more sensible.

No sign of the OP recently...

its because he's out riding his bicycle hopefully.

just ride the bike he bought from the shop. all of us here really don't understand why people keep stuff for good. its something MF's mother in law would say about a pair of shoes.

buy it

use it

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • burnthesheep
    burnthesheep Posts: 675
    If you're even asking this question, I wonder if you can afford to ride your superbike for all purposes. Or perhaps even own one.

Up to you.

If you race and train to race, you either have or will crash. Perhaps several times. Be prepared to repair it or bin-job it when it happens.

Make the decision based on what you can financially handle while enjoying doing the riding you like to do. If you're stretching your budget just to ride the bling all the time, you need to re-analyze things. If you can afford to ride the bling and replace the bling after an incident.........by all means do as you wish.

It's the same answer for people who ask "should I daily drive my fancy sports car".

Just be ready for lots of tears if you crash it as your only roadie bike and you can't afford another one.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I ride all my bikes all year round. By I also build and maintain them myself. If you don’t know how to clean and maintain your own bike properly then parts degrade a lot quicker whether they’re cheap or expensive. So I’d recommend getting to understand how to look after it yourself. I personally wouldn’t ride carbon rims in particularly bad weather as the braking is poor and weary of degrading the brake tracks etc prematurely.

If you don’t want to keep your bike grime free by cleaning it regularly then maybe getting a beater bike as well as a bike you only bring out in good weather is a way of keeping it working well for longer. But it still seems a little short sighted perhaps.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift