New Rider Cannondale Synapse Question

Lolephant
Lolephant Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hey guys looking to get into road cycling! Very excited. I used to mountain bike a lot but I want to try cycling out.
Also want to use it as a main form of exercise. I live in South Carolina and I probably will only ride on roads and when the weather is nice (not raining). I hopefully will get in better shape and be able to go on longer rides. I was really drawn towards the "endurance" style road bike since they seem comfortable.

I test road several Emondas at my Trek shop. Didn't really care for them. My cannondale shop as a super six evo that I was thinking of trying out. I test rode two synapses and immediately fell in love with the riding position. They have a 2017 Carbon Synapse 105 for $1700. I don't mind spending money on a good bike that I know will last me for a while.

My main concern is that the 2018 model has disc brakes. It seems they changed a lot of stuff with the 2018 model. I'm not really sure I need hydraulic disc brakes. I'm kind of at the point where I'm not really sure if I need it or if I should just get it to future proof myself for not needing another bike for a while. The 2017 Carbon has rim brakes and I'm pretty sure I can fit 28mm tires on it.

Either get the 2017 rim brake carbon for $1700 or try to wait out on deals for the 2018 model. I don't really see the price coming down anytime soon (maybe a couple hundred bucks) and one of the sales guys said Cannondale could very well "roll over" the 2018 bikes to 2019 and just make a color change. I also heard the riding position is a little more aggressive on the new ones.

Decisions decisions...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Not sure if this answers your question but I bought a 2017 105 disc carbon Synapse at the end of last year, started riding it in the spring and I don’t think I’ve another bike out of the garage for more than 50 miles. I’ve done about 3000 on it this year, changed the tyres which made a big difference and will put some better wheels on it when they arrive today. Not sure it needs disc brakes, they were good when I got caught out in a torrential rain storm in April but I don’t notice them. Easily my favourite bike, comfortable.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    @ OP if you ride hills a fair bit I'd get the discs, if not - and you don't ride much in rain - then the rim braked bike sounds ideal.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Lolephant
    Lolephant Posts: 3
    Thanks guys! I was also considering the Giant Defy but the "Conduct" braking system they use kind of freaks me out. It uses a hybrid mechanical / hydraulic system. I may consider test riding one but the nearest shop with one in my size is like an hour away. I really liked the Cannondale though. I may jump on the $1700 one that is on sale. We do have hills and stuff here but its not like super steep Alpine mountain stuff.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,265
    If you are riding in the dry only, you'll be fine with rim brakes. If you like the bike and the price, get it and ride it. I don't have one, but ridden it as a hire bike, and loved it.
  • deano802
    deano802 Posts: 67
    Lot of personal opinions on disc vs rim, could on forever. My personal opinion is that if you are putting down a major outlay and buying one bike for the next few years or longer and you wish to do all sorts with it I would get discs. I did it and don't regret at all.