Favorite alum/ti frames

radom
radom Posts: 8
edited August 2018 in Road buying advice
What are the best/your favorite alum/ti frames out there?
Criteria:
1) race-able (weight and geo)
2) disc brake (thru axle)
3) less than 2k (or only slightly above if it's really cool)

My list at the moment:
Twin Six Standard Ti Road
CAAD12
Trek Emonda ALR (2019)

I'm assuming there is going to be a lot of bikes released soon that could fall under this list but are only in rim brake versions now (van dessel, spooky, low?)..

Comments

• radom
    Goal is to replace an aged Klein Quantum with something that rides in a similar way and uses disc brakes..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    radom wrote:
    Goal is to replace an aged Klein Quantum with something that rides in a similar way and uses disc brakes..

Piccies of the klein please!

If it's cool can I have first dibs please?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CAAD12 has a thru axle front, but a QR rear. Flat mount brakes front and rear though.
  • radom
    CAAD12 has a thru axle front, but a QR rear. Flat mount brakes front and rear though.
    QR rear still? Shoot.. Well maybe the new model will be TA?
  • Matthewfalle
    why do you want TA so badly?

i'd go CAAD or Bowman for a race ali bike.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    The Kinesis Aithein Disc version is also a really good Alu frame for racing.
  • radom
    why do you want TA so badly?

i'd go CAAD or Bowman for a race ali bike.

I have a feeling road disc frames will go the direction of mountain bikes in the next few years (away from QR to more of a TA standard)..
  • Matthewfalle
    by that point you'll be wanting a new frame anyway, so why worry about it now?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • radom
    by that point you'll be wanting a new frame anyway, so why worry about it now?

Frankly I prefer the feel and service of a TA vs a QR. I've found on my mountain bikes that it's just easier for me to keep the brakes set up just right.

Also I'm not one to replace bikes frequently so I'd like it to have it last awhile.
  • Matthewfalle
    how diffrrent do they feel? is there a benefit under acceleration, braking, cornering?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • radom
    how diffrrent do they feel? is there a benefit under acceleration, braking, cornering?

When the axle is locked in place they feel the same but with QR I occasionally wouldn't set the wheel in exactly the same angle and it would wear pads uneven and rub quite a bit. With TA there is no error to be made as the wheel just locks in, feels/looks secure as can be.

But apart from that I don't think there is a tangible benefit out on the road.
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    radom wrote:

Based on the fact that that I've heard that a Kelin Quantum would rattle the fillings out of your teeth, and my experience of a Kinesis Aithein rim brake, I'd say a Kinesis Aithein Disc???

Sporty as all get out though. I do like the way it (the Aithein) responds and corners etc.
  • radom
    radom wrote:

Based on the fact that that I've heard that a Kelin Quantum would rattle the fillings out of your teeth, and my experience of a Kinesis Aithein rim brake, I'd say a Kinesis Aithein Disc???

Sporty as all get out though. I do like the way it (the Aithein) responds and corners etc.

I'm 6'4'' and 180 lbs most of the year, only a little less when really pushing it.. Doesn't the Aithein have a weight limit? :|
  • radom wrote:
    radom wrote:

I'm 6'4'' and 180 lbs most of the year, only a little less when really pushing it.. Doesn't the Aithein have a weight limit? :|
    Yep. 90 kg. or 14 stone - you're 16 lbs inside it.