New forks now front wheel wont fit

jozinho
jozinho Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey,
So I have a diamond back sync 3.0 mountain bike and I have recently upgraded the forks.
New forks are SR Suntour Raidon XC 120mm with thru axle.
Now, is there any way of getting my front wheel to support thru axle or do I need to get a new front wheel? The thru axle is 15mm and just too big to go through the front hub
Front hub: Aluminium QR 36H

Thank you!

Joz

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's a no. No point in just changing the hub anyway as the rim is 36h and they are pretty rare these days. New wheel time.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Hi Joz. Some hubs can be converted from one axle type to another, but these tend to only be found on high end bikes sadly. In your case it's probably best to get a new front wheel. As Chunkers says, 36 hole are getting harder to find by the time you do find a suitable hub and factor in the cost of spokes and the rebuild you're probably talking the same price as new wheel anyway. You can find a semi decent one for around £50 - £75ish if you look around. Then sell your old one to offset the cost.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • jozinho
    jozinho Posts: 3
    Thanks chaps,

Do you have any recommendations for the front wheel? Least it will give me an idea what im actually looking for!

Theres a Halfords just down the road from my work? Would it be worth calling in there or go somewhere more specialized?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Halfords should have something suitable, yeah. The level of service/staff knowledge seems to vary from store to store but it's certainly worth a look at least.

You want 27.5", 100x15mm axle and 6 bolt disc mount (beware of centerlock hubs, they won't fit your disc).
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Have a look on eBay as well. People are always selling wheels. It can be a bit of a lottery though.

I bought new wheels from Superstar Components - they do their own hubs, which have chageable hub adaptors. They do clearance and 20% codes a lot of the time. I got some of their Fuel hubs on Mavic rims. Had no issues.
    "Ride, crash, replace"