Recommendations please for Girlfriends Road bike

deano802
deano802 Posts: 67
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
My Gf looking to buy a new bike to join me on weekend cafe runs etc.

She's 5ft 10 and 75kg and Dutch so knows what she's doing on a bike, decends like a maniac! Does she need to be looking at women specific bikes? Or will a small normal frame be good for her?

Can be new or second hand but want to try and get her Shimano 105.

Says her budget is £600 but can push that up if we find something good.

Everyone's help will be much appreciated

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12670609&p=20389855#p20389855

You would struggle to beat that spec for £710.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I wouldn't look for a women's bike specifically, any bike that fits will be perfect for her. At 5'10 I would be surprised if she fit a small frame though? I would guess she would be best on a 56cm frame or similar?
  • deano802

Yes great spec, just have a real issue with those brake hoods!
  • deano802
    HaydenM wrote:
    I wouldn't look for a women's bike specifically, any bike that fits will be perfect for her. At 5'10 I would be surprised if she fit a small frame though? I would guess she would be best on a 56cm frame or similar?

Thought as much, gives me more options.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Deano802 wrote:

Yes great spec, just have a real issue with those brake hoods!

I don't know any different, because my Cube is the only hydraulic road bike I've had to date, but the BR505s have been fine for me.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Women specific bikes generally have shorter top tubes, shorter cranks and a smaller seat tube (TT to BB), but my gf has a small mens MTB (Scott Voltage) so it's just a case of best fit really.

That Vitus is a steal btw. Very tempted myself!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    In terms of frame and geometry - as others have said it just depends what fits.
    However, she will almost certainly find a womens saddle more comfy than a mans saddle so keep a few quid in the budget for that.
  • deano802
    This looks nice,

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... omens.html

Not the most amount of gears but range is good.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I thought that loads of manufacturers pulled their women specific ranges over the past couple of years because they said that it didn't make a lot of difference (if any)?

I suppose with anything though she has to try it and see - what fits one may not fit the other.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    You probably got the right answer in the first reply TBH.
  • Or better yet, shop together by going through different manufacturers' websites?

Giant claims their Liv bikes are "women-specific" though I'm not sure how much I buy that... saddles, absolutely. Geometry, wouldn't it depend person-to-person?
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Womens bikes tend to be designed for a more upright position - mens/unisex bikes are usually better spec for the money, i wouldnt touch a female bike unless she has very very long legs and a short body
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    In this day and age I'd let her be the decision-maker. Take her to a decent LBS where you know there is a decent range and let her choose what she wants. By all means offer advice but if she gets to decide she's more invested in the process.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Svetty wrote:
    In this day and age I'd let her be the decision-maker. Take her to a decent LBS where you know there is a decent range and let her choose what she wants. By all means offer advice but if she gets to decide she's more invested in the process.

We here are all lost for words. Not sure if patronising is the term.

Can she talk when she is at the bicycle shop or has to be silent while men talk about manly things like bicycles? Is she allowed to drive?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Anything thats pink a basket & has ribbons :wink:

That vitus one looks good even if the giant hoods are ugly.

This felt maybe though piant job is abit euro fluro:

25761_felt_zw6_disc_ladies_road_bike.jpg

https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-zw6-w ... 93831.html

Don't like the boardman £550 is to much for a bike with claris
  • deano802
    Svetty wrote:

We here are all lost for words. Not sure if patronising is the term.

Can she talk when she is at the bicycle shop or has to be silent while men talk about manly things like bicycles? Is she allowed to drive?

:lol: she has actually asked me to find her a bike, I haven't forced her to get a bike of my choosing, and if I did she would tell me exactly where to go!
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    Both my wife and daughter ride Specialized Amiras and love them. Would be worth taking a look at any going second hand? Fast and good handling and the bike geometry fits them very well. My daughter is 5ft 7 / 5ft 8 and rides the 54cm frameso your GF would want to go up a size I think Deano. BW
  • deano802
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Anything thats pink a basket & has ribbons :wink:

That vitus one looks good even if the giant hoods are ugly.

This felt maybe though piant job is abit euro fluro:

25761_felt_zw6_disc_ladies_road_bike.jpg

https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-zw6-w ... 93831.html

Don't like the boardman £550 is to much for a bike with claris

Being Dutch she doesn't mind anything orange, but had now confirmed she def. Wants a women's bike, she says they look better and she just feels more comfortable with it when though I have explained how the geometry is exactly the same on some, shows you how marketing really works.

I like the look of this deal at the moment with Tiagra 10 speed.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod166344
  • wotnoshoeseh
    wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
    There's some good deals on the Merlin website too.... E. Merckx etc.
  • deano802
    In the end I found this on eBay, think it's a steal, 2016 women's full carbon synapse with Tiagra 10 speed, compact and 32 cassette. Used for one summer training for a sportive, like new, seller was most worried that the left pedal was scratched! All in £525. I may just upgrade the tektro brake calipers to tiagra or 105 for her.

QjCRqpi.jpg

Equipment sorted now, just not sure going on rides with the missus is the best idea, might find her a female club to ride with :D
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Hmm imo its fell out of the ugly tree & hit every branch on the way down.

Thoose wheels with loadsa spokes look bad, non series crankset is ugly, don't like the pinky paint highlights job, and its heavy, & price isn't very good for the spec.

Many womens bikes are just worse spec than the mens ones with added pink paint......

This is decent:

https://www.merlincycles.com/eddy-merck ... 04303.html

Top frame very light:

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/art ... -67-44477/

or this womens geo:

https://www.merlincycles.com/eddy-merck ... 01787.html

& this very good vfm full hydraulic & carbon

https://www.merlincycles.com/eddy-merck ... 04240.html