How are your tubeless tyres coping in the heat?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited September 2018 in Road general
Tubeless tyres on two of my bikes have just both started regularly losing pressure when stored. One has occasionally been problematic but the other hasn't been an issue before. Wondered if the heat is drying out the sealant? Anyone else having similar problems? Am sure tubeless tyres are used in hotter climes than this, but seems odd that the problems seem accentuated during this heatwave... :?
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Tubeless tyres on two of my bikes have just both started regularly losing pressure when stored. One has occasionally been problematic but the other hasn't been an issue before. Wondered if the heat is drying out the sealant? Anyone else having similar problems? Am sure tubeless tyres are used in hotter climes than this, but seems odd that the problems seem accentuated during this heatwave... :?

Found this on another forum as I was am tempted but have never bother going tubeless.

"The volitile (rapidly evaportating component) in Stans is amonia. The entire mixture doesn't turn to gas, only the amonia. And pretty much no, it doesn't turn back to liquid when it cools down. So high heat tends to leave you with latex alone and the little sealing bits. Just kind of a thick soup that doesn't do much. You'll need to replenish the sealant.

CO2 reacts with stans in a different manner. It doesn't affect the amonia for the most part, it affects the latex. It tends to cause it to congeal and become lumpy. Not a good thing.

Either situation will affect the ability of the sealant to work.

Good Dirt "
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I have noticed that mine require pumping up on a more since the temperature has been high 20s / low 30s, the drop in pressure as been to excessive though
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Out in the alps a couple of weeks ago where it was well into the 30’s, noticed that my pressure was going down more rapidly than usual. I just checked every morning and adjusted if needed. Don’t think it’s an issue but worth being aware of.
  • luv2ride
    Stans sealant on all my tubeless so wonder if that relevant given earlier comments. Have bought some Caffelatex to see if any better. Bikes stored in garage, but the metal door seems to be in full sun all day, so is pretty "oven-like" inside.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Luv2ride wrote:

When I first fitted the tubeless tyres I left my bike against my back garden fence in direct sunlight to dry out after washing it. After about two hours I noticed the front tyre was flat, then whilst I was sorting that out I heard the rear deflate. When I removed the tyres the rim tape had tiny splits over the spoke pockets. I was using Orange seal rim tape at the time.

Since I've changed to Schwalbe rim tape I haven't had any further issues and they've been absolutely fine in this heat.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Mine also going down quicker :(
    Dave
  • luv2ride
    Luv2ride wrote:

When I first fitted the tubeless tyres I left my bike against my back garden fence in direct sunlight to dry out after washing it. After about two hours I noticed the front tyre was flat, then whilst I was sorting that out I heard the rear deflate. When I removed the tyres the rim tape had tiny splits over the spoke pockets. I was using Orange seal rim tape at the time.

Since I've changed to Schwalbe rim tape I haven't had any further issues and they've been absolutely fine in this heat.

Given the front tyre on my Pro6 is now completely flat I'll take the opportunity to check the rim tape! Haven't been able ride at all for last 2 weeks due to work, so wonder that if that might contribute too. Unfortunately this weekend is now lost to work as well, so won't be able to investigate the rim tape for a few more days dammit :|
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    Mine are doing quite nicely hanging on hooks in the garage. I've taken them off as they seem to involve a fair amount of faffing around compared with tubed tyres. Also, the most mileage I've got from a tubeless tyre has been about 2500 miles before it's been cut to pieces and not able to hold pressure, so with the mileage I do it's worked out to be quite expensive.. Might put them on again in the winter if I start getting fed up with road side stops to fix punctures.....
  • david7m
    edited July 2018
    My rear was leaking yesterday at BPW, was about 15 degrees and raining.
    Put more stans in (200ml now?) and was ok again. Not buying anymore when it runs out!
    Dave
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Aftrifical latex ammonia free sealants just work better than Stans or other natural latex sealants. Artifical latex/ammonia free sealants don't ball up so you don't have the clean the tyres out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    david7m wrote:
    (200ml now?)
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • david7m
    Svetty wrote:
    david7m wrote:
    (200ml now?)

Recommended is 150, so not too bad :D
    Dave
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Must say now I'm back in Holland I'm thinking of just getting some tubed tyres again now. Without a track pump to top them up all the time it's just easier. Plus punctures are rare here anyway as the bikepaths are well maintained...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    I've found mine go down a bit more than usual, but nothing too bad.

Delighted to have them on PRL100 yesterday. There were flats everywhere, I sailed through without any issues.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    david7m wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    david7m wrote:
    (200ml now?)

Recommended is 150, so not too bad :D
    Dave
    Maybe for MTB but this is in Road :wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • david7m
    Oh yeah :D Imagine coming down AC DC on your 700c's :)
    Dave
  • Using orange seal in sector 28 on kinlin rims in 32-38 temps without issue.
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27
    Not had any issues with pressure. Been more concerned that they'll blow up when I've left the bike in the car in the sun a couple of times. Been absolutely roasting in there, but no problems yet.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    On a related note, we were out on the Sunday club run a couple of weeks back, and were having a coffee break when we heard a bloody loud bang coming from our pile of bikes. One of the club was running tubeless and (we assume) the heat had the effect of blowing the tyre completely off his carbon rim. It completely covered the cafe window in sealant too :D
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    Beatmaker wrote:
    On a related note, we were out on the Sunday club run a couple of weeks back, and were having a coffee break when we heard a bloody loud bang coming from our pile of bikes. One of the club was running tubeless and (we assume) the heat had the effect of blowing the tyre completely off his carbon rim. It completely covered the cafe window in sealant too :D
    Bad luck. :lol:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I wonder if they were properly 'tubeless ready' tyres?
  • No problems here, but then I've ridden a lot, not left them standing
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    predicably i get no issues. the heat had not caused the tyre to blow off. it was prone to that anyway. some tyre rim combinations are not secure. that goes for lcinhers or tubeless. the problem is mainly the rim or the pressures used.
    Some people inflate tubeless tyres to 120 psi and then are surpised when a problem develops....
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    I used tubeless road tyres since 5 years now in winter (-5°C) and summer (35°C) and have no problems at all with the sealant such as TS.

Like thecycleclinic: Some people inflate tubeless tyres to 120 psi and then are surpised when a problem develops.... :lol:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • luv2ride
    Refiitted my front Nano TCS last night and used new sealant. Still holding today so hopefully sorted. Now need to do the same with the front WTB Exposure on the Pro6, and see what happens...meanwhile garage has got hot again!
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Migrating to 28mm Pro one tubeless this week. Who'd have thought back in 2010 when 23 tubs were the rage that I would go 28mm within 8 years ! Look forward to getting them on the road for some extra volume.
  • Beatmaker wrote:

Seems to be more of a problem when inner tubes are used. Just saying.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12930058
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Beatmaker wrote:

Seems to be more of a problem when inner tubes are used. Just saying.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12930058
    You appear to have linked a thread about Zipp hub failures? Doesn't appear to be related to inner tube blowouts, which I assume was your intention.

I had a tubeless tyre fail on me in the heat a few weeks back. The rubber detached itself from the kevlar bead.

Pretty spectacular. My left shoe still has quite a lot of sealant on it.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    What psi were you using?