Hello

krel
krel Posts: 25
edited July 2018 in MTB general
Hello everybody, new forum user here. Im a bilateral amputee and was wondering if the forum has any other riders to get tips from ?

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Firstly sorry to hear that.

Dfficult to answer without knowing what and how much is missing.

There is a one armed biker on here, search in the videos section.

Also on retrobike forum there was a discussion for a brake lever to act on both wheels.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • krel
    Thanks for the link, that guy is some rider tackling the stuff he does with one arm ! My amputations are my right leg is amputated above knee and my left knee is amputated below knee, been riding again for a little over three years.
  • 02gf74
    ^^^ Well I'm amazed, I didn't think it would be possible to cycle with parts of legs missing. Do you have a hand crank bike?

I take it you are aware that electric bikes exist, although expensive, are beginning to get cheaper. They can assist so can increase the range you can ride.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well done in wanting to get back out.

Are you using pedals with clips? While clipping/unclippBig may be an issue, if you want to do anything rough I think it will be absolutely necessary to stop your feet coming off the pedals as I assume you can’t changle the ‘ankle’ angle to control grip?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • krel
    Thank you :) i use a regular bike ive gotta canyon strive al 7.0 race, i also used to have a cube ltd sl which was stolen. I did try clipless pedals but i couldnt clip in, it was really frustrating when my feet kept jumping off the pedals and then i had the idea of joining two cable ties together, threading them through my pedal and making a loop for my foot and it works really well ! Luckily its only my right foot that really jumps off the pedal so i can still quickly put my left foot down if needs be. Sometimes the simplest ideas give the best solution ! The furthest ive rode using my prosthetics is 36 mile and i imagine later in life an e bike will be very useful for me just now im happy to propel myself lol
  • 02gf74
    krel wrote:
    Thank you :) i had the idea of joining two cable ties together, threading them through my pedal and making a loop for my foot and it works really well ! Luckily its only my right foot that really jumps off the pedal so i can still quickly put my left foot down if needs be. Sometimes the simplest ideas give the best solution !ol

Sounds like you've reinvented toe clips. Maybe old fashioned but the straps are wider and adjustable so once shoe is in, the strap is pulled to tighten. Getting out is simple, usually not having to loosen them.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Not much to add but welcome and really really motivating to read about your cycling.

As mentioned, look into proper toe straps which are specific cages designed to hold the foot, so may be more supportive than just cable ties.
  • krel
    My foot has quite a bit of flex in it so toe clips are not really suitable, with the cable tie i i can get my foot central on the pedal so it is nice and secure.