Sky Tour Team - 2012 -2018

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
edited July 2018 in Pro race
37715272_10216831007708736_922371194915651584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d9df2adbe67dda16ca80bd86fa2fd6fb&oe=5BD48C93

For me 2016 looks the strongest

Yeah. Roulers is a spelling mistake.
Meh!
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    2012 was strongest for me. Not sure I’d class Rogers as a rouleur though. There were probably 4 riders in that team that could have made top 10 on GC then Cav with his stage wins.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Surely the "strongest" depends on the parcours?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    jam1e wrote:
    Surely the "strongest" depends on the parcours?

True
    It would be interesting to compare 'horses' with 'courses'
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232
    With all the data the team famously keeps on its riders (but not medical staff, obvs), they could probably work out the hypothetical TTT times for each squad on a non technical out and back course. They could even include variants for all squads on same kit or on the kit of their year...
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    I think 2012 is the best in terms of cycling talent, but not in terms of winning the Tour. Cav and EBH don't really contribute anything. In modern cycling it no longer makes sense to have a sprinter and a GC contender. It's either or.

I think it comes down to 2017 vs. 2016 and it comes down to Kwiatkowski vs. Poels and Stannard vs. Knees. Kwiatkowski shifts the balance there to 2017 for me.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    2012. The mountain train was utterly dominant plus 3 sprint stage wins for Cav
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I thought Kiry DNF in 2013, the crazy stage where Froome got isolated early on and Lil' Pete rode into a ravine, didn't kiry come in after the time cut? Is he one of the DNFs that doesn't have a line?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    I thought Kiry DNF in 2013, the crazy stage where Froome got isolated early on and Lil' Pete rode into a ravine, didn't kiry come in after the time cut? Is he one of the DNFs that doesn't have a line?

Think you're right - he was isolated out the back (because the 2 cars were split between Froome in the front group and Porte et al behind) and ran out of water - apparently no other team cars would service him.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Think you're right - he was isolated out the back (because the 2 cars were split between Froome in the front group and Porte et al behind) and ran out of water - apparently no other team cars would service him.

Yeah, that was terrible. Completely unacceptable behaviour from other teams.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I think stage wins and winning margin might be useful metrics to add.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    They seem to feel it's lucky to always have at least one rider with a surname beginning with "K" - obviously this must be the sole reason Kwia was signed up in 2016! :D
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    adr82 wrote:
    They seem to feel it's lucky to always have at least one rider with a surname beginning with "K" - obviously this must be the sole reason Kwia was signed up in 2016! :D

I think it's luckier that they always have a rider with a surname beginning in "F".
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    hypster wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    I think it's luckier that they always have a rider with a surname beginning in "F".
    Except in 2014 of course, clearly both systems broke down that year. Maybe 5 Brits was too many?