Which shoes for wide feet?

sorenwrang
sorenwrang Posts: 8
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am currently struggling with tingling in my toes. I have completed a professional bike fit, and I was told that my current shoes are too narrow at the front metatarsal joint (my toe "knuckles"), causing the numbness in my toes.

I currently have a pair of Shimano SH-SP300-S-L shoes. I tried on the top range Shimano RC9 S-phyre WIDE fit, but they don't seem to be any wider than my SP300.

I have measured the width of my feet (between the metatarsal joints on either side of the foot) to 10.5 mm (left foot) and 10.8 mm (right foot).

Do you have any suggestions for a shoe that would fit? Obviously, it has to be even wider than the Shimano RC9 Wide fit.
I am a size 44 (9.7 US, or 278 mm).

Best regards,
Soren

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    I have wide feet and had the same problem.

I bought some Bont Riot shoes. Not only do these accommodate my wider feet but they (along with other Bont shoes) are also designed to be heated in an oven in order to mould them to your feet.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Lake CX237 Wide Fit
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Lake and Bont seem to me like the only manufacturers that people agree accommodate for wide feet. Lots of people say other brands do and then someone says the opposite and they run super narrow. Probably an issue of people thinking they have wide feet I guess.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Mavic make a Maxi range.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    DHB from Wiggle are wide fitting and good quality at a goood price
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Northwave have a wide fit range.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Sidi do a wide fitting shoe, I think they are called Mega.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Just a quick note on "wide fit" ranges, check that the actual sole of the shoe is wider. For cost-saving many companies just provide more 'upper', which is fine if you have high volume fit but if not you might find that the sole not being wide enough is not comfortable.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    i suggest try bont, size charts are here: https://bontcycling.com/items/support/size-chart.html

when measuring feet be careful not to compress flesh, also do it a few times to find largest measurement as they'll vary a few mm throughout the day depending on conditions and what you're doing

note that the sizes are the actual internal space, you really must add a few mm to foot length to allow for socks (i add 5mm)

with bont you can heat mould a few mm extra width in the forefoot area (don't expect to be able to get extra length)

to get the best fit, especially around the heel cup, assume you will need to heat mould
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Lake.
    Northwave.