cube reaction c:62 SL

bike2
bike2 Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi!

https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/mount ... blue-2018/

What do you think of this bike? I'm relatively new to this domain and I'm looking for a lightweight bike under 2200 euros.
I first looked at Rose, Canyon or Radon bikes - which might come with better wheels at this price - but I'm kind of reluctant of ordering my bike online and would like to stick with the traditional shop buying experience.

I cannot seem to find a lighter bike under this price which also stays under the XT groupset (which is really more than I need).
I'm not into racing, I simply want a light bike in order to do long climbs (I live in a mountainous, thus de 2x drivetrain).

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks like a decently specced and well balanced option.

I wouldn't look at weights too much, there is no standard for measurements so the same weight bike may be declared differently from different manufacturers depending on their own internal standards.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I doubt any bike in that price bracket is going to disappoint.

Check out frame geometry as cube bikes tend to be a bit smaller than the equivalent frames from specialized or cannondale.

Also manufacturers weights are optimistic, I've found a couple only mondraker bikes seem to be close to what is in the catalogue.
  • bike2
    bike2 Posts: 3
    Hi! I bought the bike, it's super light, very fast but I have one main problem with it: I feel too stretched when I'm riding it!
    I would prefer a position with a more straight back than this bike was probably designed for - I'm not really into the racing/aerodynamic stuff, I simply want to enjoy riding a good, performant, light bike.
    The stem is positioned negatively but I doubt reversing it will bring any noticeable benefit regarding reach.
    I already pushed the seat post at its maximum front so nothing to be done there.

Therefore, big question: do you think it's OK if I replace the Newmen Evolution 318.4 100mm, 6 degrees stem with one which is both:

1) shorter, like 50mm, to decrease the handlebar reach a bit
    b) higher angle, like 9-10 degrees, to maintain the same handlebar stack

For the computationsI used http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php.

Do you think this will negatively impact the riding experience for such a bike?