chain rub

avail3
avail3 Posts: 7
edited July 2018 in Road beginners
how do you get rid of chain rub? i'm on the small ring in the front, and big ones at the back when it happens.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Index the front derailleur. With the chain on the inner ring and biggest sprocket, adjust the L limit screw to take the derailleur inwards until it just clears the chain.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Are you using the trim function?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What shifters / mechs? Do you have an adjuster for the front mech cable?

Do what philthy3 describes, and if that doesn't silence it, maybe there's too much cable tension. If you have an adjuster wind it in a bit, or if not, maybe you need to set up the front mech again from scratch? (don't panic, it's quite simple. I had to do it at the roadside a couple of weeks ago during a charity ride...)
  • avail3
    philthy3 wrote:
    Index the front derailleur. With the chain on the inner ring and biggest sprocket, adjust the L limit screw to take the derailleur inwards until it just clears the chain.

Thanks! Total newb here ... but will the L limit screw be super obvious? and inwards would be towards the bike right?
  • avail3
    wongataa wrote:
    Are you using the trim function?

maybe? i've read about it but I don't 100% understand it
  • avail3
    keef66 wrote:
    What shifters / mechs? Do you have an adjuster for the front mech cable?

Do what philthy3 describes, and if that doesn't silence it, maybe there's too much cable tension. If you have an adjuster wind it in a bit, or if not, maybe you need to set up the front mech again from scratch? (don't panic, it's quite simple. I had to do it at the roadside a couple of weeks ago during a charity ride...)

i believe i do have an adjuster - i have the shimano claris groupset! i don't think i'm skilled enough to set up the front mech yet haha not gonna lie ... i've had a road bike for about 2 months
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Go on to You Tube. There are loads of bike maintenance videos on there. The GCN ones aren't too bad as a starting point. Much easier when you can actually see someone doing it.

Just search for "front derailleur adjustment" or something like that.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    avail3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Thanks! Total newb here ... but will the L limit screw be super obvious? and inwards would be towards the bike right?

Usually the screw nearest to the seat tube or sometimes marked with a L. Just small 1/4 turns at a time and recheck.

It won't be the trim as you say you're already in the inner ring. The trim function is for the big ring and moves the front derailleur inwards slightly when cross chaining onto the bigger sprockets. If you were to change on the front again, you'd drop onto the inner ring, which is where you are.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Stuart46
    Stuart46 Posts: 26
    I have Claris also,
    I did it yesterday mine was rubbing slightly, it was easy, but dont overdo it
    Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNG7g83lI-s