Best cheap road bike - New/Used - Charity Bike Ride

jonbartbike
jonbartbike Posts: 2
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap road bike which is good for a 50 mile charity bike ride - ideally not more than £150. What bike / bike brand do you recommend?

I don't cycle regularly so this is new to me. The event is in September so I will practise over August to familiarise with the bike and get comfortable with cycling on the road.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Jonathan =]

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    Second hand or borrowed.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap road bike which is good for a 50 mile charity bike ride - ideally not more than £150. What bike / bike brand do you recommend?

I don't cycle regularly so this is new to me. The event is in September so I will practise over August to familiarise with the bike and get comfortable with cycling on the road.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Jonathan =]

This new from Decathlon if you don't want to go drop bar just yet www.decathlon.co.uk/riverside-100-hybri ... 05298.html

Or, for a better spec and drop bars this one for £100 more www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100-road-bik ... 77732.html
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why do a charity bike ride if you haven't a bike ?

Borrowing a mates bike sounds the better option. £150 is not enough for a new bike and you don't know what you're looking at second hand I think.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Fenix wrote:
    Why do a charity bike ride if you haven't a bike ?

Borrowing a mates bike sounds the better option. £150 is not enough for a new bike and you don't know what you're looking at second hand I think.

My mate just did a bungee jump for charity, but he doesn't own any bungee jumping apparatus :)

You're right though, borrowing a bike does seem like the better option unless OP plans to get into cycling.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8