Which of these two bikes is a better deal?

Rshields85
Rshields85 Posts: 6
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
This is my first posting here, and I am looking to get into cycling to stay conditioned. I read a few articles stating that a Specialized Allez is a really good bike, but is out of my price range new. After searching extensively I have found two that are in my budget and are closeby. I looked on bicycle blue book and both are listed above the value listed but I haven’t seen any in that price range anywhere so I’m assuming it isn’t that good of a tool. Here is the link to the first bike, the other is a 2009 Specialized Allez Elite with a cateye computer, shoes and a helmet for $445, please let me know which is the better deal and if I should try to negotiate a lower price what points I should use.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/bik/d/ ... 91738.html

Comments

• badgermat
    badgermat Posts: 10
    If it were me, I'd go for the 2009 Allez Elite. It's newer (the Craigslist bike looks like the 2004 model) and has a much better groupset and wheels.

That said, in either case you'll need to have a careful look to make sure it doesn't need anything expensive fixing. At that age you should be looking at the chain, chainrings or cassette and checking the head bearings and brake pads.

The cassette alone costs around $55 to replace, add a chain and chainrings (which you'd probably have to do at the same time) and you'd be up at $150 plus labour. Brake pads will only be $20 or so and head bearings anywhere from $20 to $100, but it soon adds up.

bm
  • Now, given the budget, would a brand new BD Motobecane be money better spent? Or stick with the used Allez elite?
  • badgermat
    badgermat Posts: 10
    Rshields85 wrote:
    Now, given the budget, would a brand new BD Motobecane be money better spent? Or stick with the used Allez elite?

I have no idea what the Motebecane is like, but I seriously doubt that a brand new $450 bike would be remotely close to even a 10 year old Specialized Allez quality-wise. And it will almost certainly be a lot heavier.

bm
  • Motobecane is the Bikes Direct house brand
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My first thought was that both bikes sounded overpriced considering their age, but I'm in the UK so I have no idea about the market for used bikes where you are. And as pointed out, a 10 year old bike can need a lot of money spending on it. I was also struck by the fact that the linked bike looks enormous; make sure you buy the right size!

Looking at the Bikes Direct site it seems you need to spend $700 before you reach what I'd regard as a decent spec, eg aluminium frame / carbon fork, 10 speed Tiagra shifters / drivetrain, shimano hubs, ritchey finishing kit etc

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... rd_yvi.htm

If you compromise a bit on the drivetrain / wheels, $400 gets you this, which is probably a better bet than a 10 year old Allez

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/win ... on4-xv.htm

Or what can you find in a local bike shop for that?