Best Portable Cafe Stop Lock ??

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited July 2018 in Road general
Morning all,
just wondering what everyone carries to lock up their pride & joy on the occasions its needed on a Cafe Stop ?

I know frequently, when in a group etc, its perhaps not needed, but just sometimes.......it would come in useful.
Nothing heavy, or bulky, just secure enough to put off an oppoortunist etc, not someone armed with Bolt Croppers etc.

Thx

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I usually use a suitcase cable lock - wouldn't stop anyone wanting to remove it, but does discourage anyone moving it around. Don't bother on cafe stops as it's either amoungst other bikes with loads of riders around or we sit in view of the bikes.

I have once, forgotten to take a lock on an evening pub stop - I just looped a fellow riders lock around my frame so it looked like it was locked ;)
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I use this one https://www.evanscycles.com/hiplok-flx-EV276312.

The integrated light is handy if the cafe stop is actually a pub stop, and 1 pint becomes 3, and you've not brought you're lights.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Anything small enough to go round a lamppost or similar and fit in your back pocket.

https://www.diy.com/departments/electri ... _price%7C0

Boom. £3 or so. Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I'm trying to decide between these two. Both very very light but some reviews for both mention they won't open when it's time to leave (easy to bend key on the Hiplok and random failure on the Giant/Ribble copy):

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/giant ... k-air-loop

https://www.hiplok.com/z-lok-zip-tie/

I'm not sure about carrying the Hiplok as it's maybe a bit big/rigid to go in a jersey pocket whereas the Giant could go easily or in a saddle bag?

Sorry, I'm not adding anything in terms of experience with these.....

The retractable ones with the plastic housing just seem too bulky and I'm not sure what you're getting other than they look a bit smarter.
  • COYS
    COYS Posts: 6
    I bring the hiplock on my rides and its fine in a jersey pocket. Just do it up a bit and create a loop to fit the pocket
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    COYS wrote:
    I bring the hiplock on my rides and its fine in a jersey pocket. Just do it up a bit and create a loop to fit the pocket

Many thanks, good to know.

I did like the look of the Combo version to avoid losing/bent keys but it's much bigger/more rigid so crossed that off the list.

Do you carry both of yours (if you bought a pair)? Quite handy you can link them to stretch a bit further if needed as they don't look very long.
  • COYS
    COYS Posts: 6
    I've only ever carried 1 at a time but carrying both of them won't take up much room. 2 would be handy if you neded a bit more reach.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Get your bike against the wall first, and help others put their's carefully on top, thus no lock needed.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I got one of these from planet x for 99p last year when it was reduced in the sale.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLJOIMREL ... -cafe-lock

Does the job, is small (fits in rear pocket) and weighs under 100g (93g to be precise).

If you're not in a rush keep an eye on planet x as these are regularly discounted.
  • ^
    You can get cheaper ones in camping shops etc but they do the job
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    The staff have told the MFs that Poundland/world or wherever poor people buy their stuff have this sort of thing quite often

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I find leaving one of the mf’s leaning against my bike usually prevents anything untoward occurring.
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:
    I find leaving one of the mf’s leaning against my bike usually prevents anything untoward occurring.

this. i tend to lend them to people I like - Webboo is one of these select few - when they need a helping hand.

the only downside is that Webboo needs to trail a piece of string with a pork scratching attached to keep whicheverMF is on loan jogging along behind to be able to be of useat point of srrival.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • wisepatrick09rl3KxQh1
    edited July 2021
    When I need to make a quick stop and don't want to go through the hassle of wrestling my bike and u-locking it to a pole, I use Abus 4960 lock. The lock is well-made, and I appreciate how easy it is to glide up, jump off, lock up, and walk away.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696