Majorca Cycling Base & Hotel (not PP/Alcudia)

dazz_ni45
dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
edited August 2018 in Road general
Hoping to organise a short cycling weekend break for the end of September. for my wife's birthday. We have stayed in Puerto Pollensa at the Club Pollentia for the past 3 years but would like to try somewhere different for a change and allow us to explore some new roads.

I had thought of the Alaro as we cycled through it last year and it seemed like a nice town and was also close to the Orient/Sa Batalla etc.

Has anyone any recommendations along with a nice cycle friendly hotel that is reasonably priced. Preferably in walking distance to the town for an evening stroll, dinner etc.

Thanks

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Take a look at Soller as well, lots of nice restaurants and a good cycling base
  • dazz_ni45
    Stueys wrote:

Thanks, had considered Soller but prefer somewhere central as don't want the climb out of Soller each day.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

Thanks, had considered Soller but prefer somewhere central as don't want the climb out of Soller each day.

The climb out towards the west isn't bad, and opens up the Deia road and loops from there. And there are some great restaurants in Soller. Alaro always seems very pretty when I've been through, though, but tiny.

Bunyola?
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Sineu?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:

There are 3 different climbs out of Soller/Port de Soller so unless you're trying to avoid hills then that would be as good as anywhere.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    6 of us go most Octobers. We stay at the hotel Helios in C’an Pastilla. Plenty of evening bars around . Good bikes storage facilities under the hotel. Only a 10 min bus ride from the airport. If you just want a quick ride into Palma it is 12 k along the sea front cycle way into the city.From there You can go out over Soller and back via Deia or back via Pug Major if you like it harder! The run over to Orient is a good hilly day. Run up to Valldermossa is well worth it. For less climbing go out the other way along 5be front through Arenal to Luc Major and head towards the coast and come back along the cliff tops. We hire bikes From Berganti bikes 50 yards from the hotel on the prom. Can pre order on line,very good kit and knowledgeable staff. Can take your own pedal,saddle etc and they fit when you pick up.
  • Why not try out Andratx way?
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    Soller is a cracking base...yes there are climbs out of the town but on the flip slip...its a freewheel back home after a day in the saddle!
  • dazz_ni45
    janwal wrote:
    6 of us go most Octobers. We stay at the hotel Helios in C’an Pastilla. Plenty of evening bars around . Good bikes storage facilities under the hotel. Only a 10 min bus ride from the airport. If you just want a quick ride into Palma it is 12 k along the sea front cycle way into the city.From there You can go out over Soller and back via Deia or back via Pug Major if you like it harder! The run over to Orient is a good hilly day. Run up to Valldermossa is well worth it. For less climbing go out the other way along 5be front through Arenal to Luc Major and head towards the coast and come back along the cliff tops. We hire bikes From Berganti bikes 50 yards from the hotel on the prom. Can pre order on line,very good kit and knowledgeable staff. Can take your own pedal,saddle etc and they fit when you pick up.

Thanks, for the recommendation. I had consider C'an Pastilla but had ruled out any of the resorts east of Palma as I assumed it would difficult/busy to get across to the west through Palma
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    That’s why we stay there as the cycleway into Palma along the coast is purely for people and bikes. Takes you all the way along to the marina. At the end of the marina stay on the normal footpath inside the safety barrier and follow it round to main road junction. Cross it and you are on the road out to the resorts as far as Santo Ponsa and Andratx etc.There is a large cycle path goes a fair way along this route. You have to cross the road at times to stay on it but the roads themselves are not really that busy as the motorway takes most traffic.
    In Palma there is a marked cycle route through the back streets that comes out by the station. You pick it up by the cathedral. Follow it through turn left along some short back roads and you come out towards the main road to Soller, Valldermoss,Orient etc. It is a big road but has a wide enough cycle way along it’s route.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.bikerental-mallorca.com/homehttp://www.bikerental-mallorca.com/home

we have been 3 times to hotel cristina at playa de palma in october. There is now a bike-hire and holiday base in the enormous bike-parking basement, but we have so far stuck with Cyclista who are nice and know our dimensions and preferences. I phone them and discuss it before the trip. As with the can pastilla comments I will say that the beach is right there, lots of food and drink , and the bike path( or bus) all the way to Palma shops markets opera house one way , and bike routes out to Algaida, Luz Mallor etc. There are bike routes/paths alongside the big roads , for example to Manacor from San Jordi.The airport is a 30min bus ride or 15min cycle ride away. They might charge you a little to park your own bike.

I chose this area because you don't necessarily have to do monster climbs every day, whereas at Soller etc you do. There are many quiet lanes. You can go through palma and out to the hills then back via orient for a big day .

If you want routes pointed to just say here.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Mapaputsi
    Mapaputsi Posts: 104
    I'm jumping in on this thread as there seems to be some guys on here who have some good knowledge of Mallorca.

I am heading over for the last week of August and will be bringing my bike with me. The weather looks like it will be sweltering but I'm still wondering if arm/leg warmers are needed at all - I will be staying in Soller so will be doing lots of climbing & descending.

Cheers!
  • Mapaputsi wrote:

I am heading over for the last week of August and will be bringing my bike with me. The weather looks like it will be sweltering but I'm still wondering if arm/leg warmers are needed at all

Temperatures will be in the low 30s, maybe some arm screens to protect from the sun, or take suncream on a ride
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Mapaputsi wrote:
    I'm jumping in on this thread as there seems to be some guys on here who have some good knowledge of Mallorca.

I am heading over for the last week of August and will be bringing my bike with me. The weather looks like it will be sweltering but I'm still wondering if arm/leg warmers are needed at all - I will be staying in Soller so will be doing lots of climbing & descending.

Cheers!
    You may as well take arm warmers in case of long descents in the rain, but that's all. If you normally have one bottle and cage, take two.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Soller and Port de Soller are lovely. The only thing I noticed is they seem to be prone to a bit more cloud than other parts of the island. Certainly not cold but cooler than other resorts, probably just due to being closer to the mountains.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Port de Soller is fantastic!!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach