G Whizz!

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited July 2018 in Pro race
It had to happen after winning 2 glorious mountain stages. Welcome to the wacky world of Neal Rogers. Geraint Thomas the miracle transformation, aka he must be doping
If Team Sky thought it would face scrutiny at this Tour de France due to Chris Froome’s salbutamol case, the British squad has doubled up with Geraint Thomas wearing the maillot jaune after 13 stages, leading Froome by 1:39.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/today-at-the-tour-the-question-of-geraint-thomas/

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The lack of imagination from these peddlers of innuendo is just sad. They literally have nothing else, one trick ponies. Sad.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    It’s hardly been a meteoric rise has it? His last 3 Tour finishes riding in support of Froome have been 22nd, 15th and 15th and with the final one of those was in 4th place up until the last few days. He’s been a good Pro for years, a genuine Classics contender before deciding to concentrate on stage races and winning Paris-Nice. People say Froome is unbelievable because he lacks the history and now you have them say G is unbelievable for following a steady career progression. They really are nuts!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Ignores a lot of context as well. Like the crash when Barguil ran him into a telegraph pole a couple of days before he cracked in 2015. Or the fact that he was 2nd on GC in both the Giro and the Tour when he had to withdraw last year. Also I'm sick of the "former track rider" jibes. It's just how British Cycling works, dickheads. Cav, Wiggo, Simon Yates, Kennaugh, Swift,
    Cummings etc etc - if you show talent at a young age chances are you'll end up on the track programme, it says nothing about your road racing potential other than that you'll probably be very good.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I started to read this earlier but didn't get too far before hit me this is just another crank journo article similar to CN. The number of I's for a 'writer' is remarkable. Poor from CT's as the tour podcast has been ok, not the best but ok.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    An altogether more positive look at Geraint from, shock horror, the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... -de-france
  • kleinstroker
    Pross wrote:
    It’s hardly been a meteoric rise has it? His last 3 Tour finishes riding in support of Froome have been 22nd, 15th and 15th and with the final one of those was in 4th place up until the last few days. He’s been a good Pro for years, a genuine Classics contender before deciding to concentrate on stage races and winning Paris-Nice. People say Froome is unbelievable because he lacks the history and now you have them say G is unbelievable for following a steady career progression. They really are nuts!

It really is daft. Using his switch from track to classics to GT's as evidence something is amiss. The whole idea is pure nonsense, but the amount of praise the author got for it is even more weird. I do despair sometimes
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    DeadCalm wrote:
    An altogether more positive look at Geraint from, shock horror, the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... -de-france

Shock horror? Well, yeah, actually.
    Lovely article, shame he couldnt enjoy his record win on Alpe d’huez as he was booed, mainly because the guardian leaked that a precursor to an actual AAF was underway, purely to get some clicks, creating a hostile environment, riders being attacked and the outcome being tainted for what? The love of the sport? Nope for fucking drama, as usual.

That's just the first comment.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kleinstroker
    I suppose Froome must be chuckling. G is the subject of insinuations now over his abilities, and Roglic has been *confirmed* by the doperati as using a motor, only big Tom the giant escapes untainted.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    There were insinuations about Tom when he won the Giro. He gets an easy ride as he isn’t a Sky rider but in that Giro they no longer had Sky as a target so he became their proxy. After all, he’s a bit bigger than your average GT rider and came from nowhere. Does he have a track background too? I wonder if anyone has thought to wonder whether growing up developing good mid to long term power on the track is a good basis on which to grow a road career? Maybe the traditional cycling nations should be looking at their development programmes.

In a few years people will be crying foul that Pidcock is dominating coming from a CX background!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    I suppose Froome must be chuckling. G is the subject of insinuations now over his abilities, and Roglic has been *confirmed* by the doperati as using a motor, only big Tom the giant escapes untainted.

Ya.
    Despite never having won any stage race before last year's Giro.
    It's all in the transition, baby. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows

How have they ascertained this for Roglic? What's their evidence?
  • DeadCalm

I think you will find that they consider evidence to be overrated.
  • above_the_cows
    DeadCalm wrote:

Yes what a silly question of me. I should know better.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    DeadCalm wrote:

Yes what a silly question of me. I should know better.
    he`s riding fast , therefore ,must be cheating.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    meanwhile , astana , a team with a very chequered history win back to back stages . including a hilly stage with a sprinter and no one bats an eyelid. :roll:
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    It's clickbait, just dressed up as a serious article.

When your site exists through advertising and you've podcasts to punt it's inevitable.

It's a shame because their reviews are very decent.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • kleinstroker

from Digger

DipJ_9UX0AA02_Z.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    Do these people not understand the basics of how bikes work and physics. The cassette is going to be warmer than other parts of the bike, it's called friction. FFS!

The tyres are also warm, because FRICTION!
  • kleinstroker
    Do these people not understand the basics of how bikes work and physics. The cassette is going to be warmer than other parts of the bike, it's called friction. FFS!

You obvs don't understand how fizix works, it's a motor.. duh!!
  • DeadCalm

from Digger

DipJ_9UX0AA02_Z.jpg
    It was all revealed to them in some hallucinogenic LSD trip?
  • gweeds
    He has a motor in his arse?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • above_the_cows

You obvs don't understand how fizix works, it's a motor.. duh!!

Now, a motor in your Fizik could be fun!

tumblr_ouv8xvhKHl1us21qco1_400.gif
  • kleinstroker
    It's the fact they don't have basic understanding of physics as ATC said, but logic is far down the list when it comes to discussions of doping of whatever kind it is.
  • above_the_cows
    Gweeds wrote:
    He has a motor in his ars*?

Somewhere there's a lonely soul with a Grindr' profile looking for their Primož Roglič.
  • gweeds
    *deletes Grindr*
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Gweeds wrote:
    *deletes Grindr*
    Oh no you don’t matey
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • gweeds
    Gweeds wrote:
    *deletes Grindr*
    Oh no you don’t matey

:lol:
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,172
    from Digger

DipJ_9UX0AA02_Z.jpg

Is everyone else reading this as if its posted from behind a really really angry hulk mask? or just me?
  • above_the_cows
    Just to get even more annoyed with this. Those are not identical images, meaning the thermal one is not just a thermal image of the 'normal' image on the left. The position of the car is wrong, the position of Roglič's legs (if indeed it is Roglič in both pictures) is wrong and why does the thermal image appear to be from an Olympic broadcast?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I TOLD YOU ALL!! SCIENCE AND EVIDENCE MEAN NOTHING TO THE SOCIOLOGISTS OF PRO CYCLING!!!

(if you didn't see the tweet, yes that is a thing. Yes I also think it is incredibly insulting to sociologists. They do, after all, work with science and evidence...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver