Canyon Endurace Sizing and other advice

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited July 2018 in Road buying advice
I ve been toying with the idea of buying this all week - just can't quite pull the trigger

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endur ... c-8-0.html

A few questions

Size
As a benchmark I look for a 535 top tube & reach - the small canyon has a 541 tt the XS a 527 - current bike has a 535 top tube - so I would buy the small - but putting my measurements into the canyon website it comes out as an xs ! - I am just under 5ft 8 - I usually buy meduim or small bikes - but really xtra small ? - any advice \ thoughts

Colour
With this model I only get 2 colour choices - not sure about the stealth black, seems like last years thing - I can't make up my mind about the grey .....is it a shitty grey or a classy silver - any owners out there ? (I know the colour shouldn't matter - but I tend to keep my bikes a number of years and £2k is a serious wedge for me)

Availability
The XS is from stock - does that mean I get it quicker than the other sizes where an estimated delivery date is shown ?

Wheel Upgrade
I think a decent wheel upgrade makes the bike - therefore some 50mm deep sections would be good - ant budget £500 options\ recommendations out there ?

Tyres
I don't race - I do group training rides and 60 odd mile club runs - this bike comes with 28mm tyres - this makes me wonder if this is more of a gravel bike than a road bike.

Comments

• akh
    akh Posts: 206
    Hi,

My experience of Canyon is that their delivery/dispatch estimates can be massively out. Don't put too much faith in them.

I'm 5' 7" and I ride an XS AL SLX (or did, the frameset is up for sale atm). The reach is 373 and the stack is 528. Those are really the only two measurements I'd use for comparison to other bikes I own, not the TT length.

Bear in mind that (at least on my generation of Canyon) the headset adds a fair bit to the stack height. On older Canyons it was 16mm tall, and they provided another 25mm of spacers, so if you're worried about the front end being too low, it's maybe not as likely as you think. Also be aware that the seatpost (VCLS 2.0) that bike comes with needs a fair amount showing to work properly. I've just been downstairs to measure one I have in my steel Genesis, and you need at least ~150mm of seatpost showing (not including saddle height) to be at the min insertion mark.

Finally regarding tyre size, I've recently switched from 25mm GP 4000S IIs to 28mm. The only difference I've noticed is that I can run them at 10-20 PSI less for more comfort, my times have not gotten any slower. Sure they'll catch a tiny bit more air resistance, but if the aerodynamic considerations of a few mm of rubber are important you'd probably be looking at the Ultimate?